No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... lots of fine thread stuff in cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Back at it
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Grand1; 07-09-2023, 02:13 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

The "fun" never ends, does it!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Good stuff. Keep at it. Its worth it.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Realized after paint, my trim will stick out nasty ish , so removed it and am left with just a quarter inch of adhesive, backing. Stuff is on there

Should I leave if off?.

Attached Files

Comment

You're going to have to clean off the old adhesive anyways if you want to reinstall the trim. Those fudge-looking adhesive remover wheels and a bit of heat works wonders on the old adhesives.
              Unless the trim is hiding some damage, I'd leave it off. I kinda like the slickside look of the fleet-spec LTDs.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I used this for removing that adhesive goo from a spare set of doors recently. It worked really well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	372.0 KB ID:	1390053

Id leave the trim off after the paint job. I feel the cleaner look is worth the absence of the trim.

I also fear the trim wont stick as good as original and peel up in the corners.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

All good advice, appreciated.
                  The below is $15 delivered or half the cost of the 3M and should do the trick. Thinking about getting a full paint job. The antique cream color since 79, to color match that after the age may not transition that well. Price is neglable to a spot paint job....getting that part professionally done.

Yeah, gradma trim will be not be placed back on

Attached Files

Comment

Yeah those adhesive remover wheels wear out pretty quick when used so I see no point in buying the expensive ones. My 5" 9.99€ no name special has worked just fine. I've used it to remove the old decals off Maisa's ass and wheel weight glue from 3 sets of wheels and still about half left on the adhesive remover wheel.
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

+1 generic "eraser wheels" work fine. I've got a couple different versions (regular and heavy duty - kinda looks like a tall LEGO wheel) of the Amazon specials and I've used them for probably about one door worth and it's held up fine. Still plenty of wear left.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heat gun and eraser wheel def right way to go.Some paint on the border, deep sixed. Like the look without it, def more clean. Gonna start to remove the paint.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                          Does anyone have the bolt size to the header panel to fender? Or an alternate bolt that would work? The one I saved is MIA. It looks like this:
                          I've got 9 studs, and the nuts that go with them, that I think will work. We'll see next time I'm over there if what I have will work.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks to Vic for the hookup on those fender bolts/ screws whatever da Fook they are.

So it got the metal brackets for the window regulators...thanks again Wagonman, looks like the arm is attached with a plastic piece, that slides in the groove. Since I have the metal ones, does it matter that I will be using plastic, in a metal bracket channel?
                            Attached Files

Comment

The newer regulators use the plastic on the metal brackets as well! You are good to go! WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                                Thanks to Vic for the hookup on those fender bolts/ screws whatever da Fook they are.
                                Those studs the right thing? I'm fairly certain they are. If so the source, for those wondering, is '98+ outside mirrors. And being pretty well protected by the mirror assembly and door they tend to be in great shape.

There was a '94 in the JY but the studs were not removable and not quite the same on those mirrors. Not sure if those studs changed in later whale outside mirrors, but for sure '98-'02 is a good source for them.

Hanger bolt I think is the technical term.
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X