No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow those are shiny. Did you follow the manufactures time between coats? If it was colder those times are usually longer, sometimes significantly so.

Im sure you know this but don’t wax it for at least a month. The paint manufacturer should say when it’s cured completely, usually 30-60 days. But sometimes longer.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
      Single Stage Urethane, the brand name was Wanda, the distributer gave me a discount, a gallon was $390.. From what I read , it's more than decent stuff. I manged to get the coats above on, I do have some really small fish eyes and some dirt....but it laid flat.
      Was the paint urethane or Polyurethane? Poly has a quicker dry time, about 8 hours. Urethane dries in about 24 hours. Poly is very durable and about the best single stage available. It keeps a good shine for years.
      Regarding the "solvent pops", I would not mess with it. Was your air compressor dryer drained or changed before the paint work ?
      You might look at the Wanda website. They have a Paint Defect Identifier program you could use.
      Your did a great job !
      Last edited by Mainemantom; 10-22-2023, 11:31 PM.

Comment

The stainless trim looks new. Well worth the expense to have it redone.

Comment

I would not mess with the paint either. Solvent pop is the underlying material outgassing. If you put an additional coat of paint on to quick the solvent has no where to escape but up through your latest coat of paint. Like others said waiting a bit longer between coats can help in avoiding that.

the trim looks damn good.

may be worth looking into some kinda of metal coating or wax for the trim to help out on its upkeep. Depending on where it’s stored and how the car is driven t he at trim May be a nuisance to keep looking good.
          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-23-2023, 03:41 AM.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Remember you are that paint job's biggest critic. A lot of the imperfections will not be as noticeable once the car is reassembled and out of the shop lights.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The solvent pop definitely goes back to user error. I was running alot through my mind along (am I spraying at the right distance? , a little more hardener?, am I overrlapping to much?, etc) with not having that confidence that only comes with experience.

Pretty sure it was a mixture of flash time and moisture in my lines. All in all I got about 30 to 40 pinhead size pops scattered throughout the body. I will say this color is very forgiving. Lesson learned.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	16980250073986211642518248490470.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1392430
                That's in my neck of the woods.

Looking good. I need to get back out there to see it in person. When did it get to be the end of October already?
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I got something up your alley....putting illuminated door locks in. What of connector and where to join it up?

Name:	16980883340965010800572393353962.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1392448 Click image for larger version

Name:	16980883553136506313530592758778.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1392449 Click image for larger version

Name:	1698088393157633997822834763198.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1392450

Comment

Was that an option in '79? If so, I would think the connector is in the door somewhere folded over and taped to the harness. If not, I'll have to do a bit of research to figure out what to tie that into to make it work. I'm sure someone else here knows a bit more about that than I do already.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Not an option, I just wanted to add it. Looks like I need a two blade connector

Comment

I just added illuminated entry on my crown vic and grand marquis.

The grand marquis was pre-wired up to the kick panel. An illuminated entry timer was needed, wiring to both front doors from each kick panel, illuminated lock cylinders, Two door handle switches (this is what activates the lights when you pull up on the exterior door handle.

The crown vic had two illuminated lock cylinders and both door handle switches. everything else that I named above had to be added.

If your car is pre wired (only up to the kick panels), there should be a loose connector right above the gas pedal for the illuminated entry timer. If not you're best bet is to find a junkyard car with illuminated entry and take the illuminated entry module, wiring, connectors, door handle switches (and the screws that hold them to the door latch assembly), and spare lock cylinders.

This is all fresh in my mind since I got to do this twice in the past year, so if you have questions let me know. Also, nice job with the car.

Comment

That trim looks incredible!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20231024_094417_eBay.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1392467 Thanks for the info, 1985crown...good stuff to know...yeah it shines looking at preservation stuff for it as others has suggested.

On (both front) power lock actuators....I see some listed but they don't have the same ends as mine. Motorcraft part number, come up empty. The end of mine is a 90 degree hook. Can I get the other ones with a differnt angle. ...like the above?

Click image for larger version  Name:	16981547307956108666135054993958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1392465 Click image for larger version  Name:	16981547648418907355658389188832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	1392466
                            Last edited by Grand1; 10-24-2023, 09:45 AM.

Comment

One that I bought off RA came with half a dozen different ends, no exact match, but I picked one that was already the correct length and bent the end to a 90.
                              Also that S-shape might fit as is.
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I believe Thain mentioned that these can be disassembled allowing one to swap the rods. So in theory you would be fine picking up any similar vintage power lock actuator and just swap in your existing rod to get what you need.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X