No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used one the 90 degree ones in place of the s-shape in my 90, I'd assume you can go backwards with that as well.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

+1, rods can be swapped. Been nearly a decade so I don't recall specifics, but simple enough. Some tiny ball bearings in there that the rod rides on if I remember right.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

What's the right rivet size for door handles? Would 1/4 by 1/2 work?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231103_161521.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	1392817 Still haven't touched the rivets, started opening everything else up, never fails to get sidetracked. Have at least a shit load of man hours in this ( I am slow)

1. Headliner is out, the ceremonial dust foam a runneth. Was gonna do so myself but found a guy that will do that, my sunvisors, and two triangle pieces next to my back window for $400. Didn't want creases or to mess with adhesive.... this is gonna be a light color to match the camel interior
          Will definitely look better then what I could do.

2. Got another wild hair up my ass and went after the cluster to replace with LEDs. Bandaid fingers.... speedo cable didnt want to budge ( also lest I forget the headlamp switch ritual)Have heard sometimes they don't work and you have to flip them 180..wondering how to test that before installing . Wonder what color, thinking of a amber/yellow light to match everything on the ride. Dont want to blind myself and know red is the best for night vision

3. Both front windows fully functional. Thanks for the brackets again WagonMan. Also Vic hooked me up with a window as I went aggressive with the drill bit. In my defense those regulator brackets were plastic. Shit started melting when drilling the rivets, hard to tell where I was.

4. Both front door lock acuators work now,..swapped out the rods on some NOS ones. Took a page out of Slys old posts and out a rubber piece on the rods to divert water.

5. New NOS taillight lens are in, NOS trunk emblem is on.

6. To do list;

Everything but the drag links in front suspension.

Fix my idle

Valve cover gaskets

Muffler and tailpipe

Put nos grill, lamps and bezels in.

Sure there is more.
          Last edited by Grand1; 11-09-2023, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I believe they are 1/4" rivets, you need a big ass rivet gun to put them in. Be careful doing it the amount of force you have to use can make the rivet gun(cannon? lol) bounce onto your new paint (ask me how i know...)
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I got this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-hy...ter-58644.html

Haven't used it yet.

Comment

Oh fancy, that should make it easy
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Has anyone painted thier dash? Would hit it with degrease, mild grit, decrease, adhesion promoter, paint?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20231115_135838_1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1392974

Comment

I’ve used SEM. They have a cleaner and adhesion promoter, basically a whole process. It turned out well on mine, and has lasted about a decade so far.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I would clean the dash with "spray nine" or awsome. After dash is clean, rinsed and dry, use sem adhesion promoter. Wait a day before applying the color coats. Make sure the temperature is 60 degrees or more at the painting area.

Comment

Dash is done, looks primo.

Gutted the front end , uppers were a pain, 21mm bolts on the top of the control arm....didnt know that.. Do lower control arms from later boxes fit 79's? They take the same bushings, but rockauto does not include lower or upper control arms under the 79. Same thing goes for sway bars, nothing is listed for a 79.

My lower control arm only has one hole (for end links)vs the three holes on later models. If they swap over, does that mean I could put a sway bar for later boxes on?
                        Last edited by Grand1; 12-21-2023, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I got the old.control arms from 94 areo and they look identical. Wonder why no sway bar or upper or lower control arms are listed for a 79. Also RA has differnt spring selection for the 79....all constant rate.

Been reading other threads (something up with the search function on my end) just want to make sure before dropping $$$ on parts that may not interchange.

Comment

There are so many parts that are one year only on the 79 LTD/MGM. First year of the "new" model. I hated my 79 LTD wagon for just that reason.

Comment

The frame didn't change up front 79/91, so I would assume a lower control arm would bolt on from an 80/91 car. What else has to change would be a try it and see experiment, but I suspect it would be pretty compatible. I know the springs are the same.

79 also had the overlap from the LTD II and I think some of the confusion in the aftermarket has to do with that.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You can also use Aero front springs- they’re slightly stiffer than police springs but should give you ride height. I cut a coil off mine to lower it, but they’re a great, plentiful substitute
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X