Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I replaced the hood lift supports today, Stabilus part #SG404002 if anyone needs it. The old ones wouldn't hold the hood up if the temp was below about 50, new ones almost open it automatically. Took me all of maybe ten minutes to pop the old ones off and the new ones on.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
    Where would the mirror even pull the temperature from? I assume on newer cars there's an additional wire that sends that data which a Box won't have.
    My '02 with the outside temp display in the ATC head unit has a sensor somewhere up front, I can't remember if it's behind the grill or under the bumper. From what I've seen online if you add a mirror with temp you would also need the outside temp sensor from the vehicle that mirror came off of.

Leave a comment:

• Lutrova
    replied
    Where would the mirror even pull the temperature from? I assume on newer cars there's an additional wire that sends that data which a Box won't have.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    Gentex 313/453 will have Homelink contained on the mirror as well as a compass if you want that feature. You can usually find them on Nissans, Mazda's and Kia's. Just be sure to grab the connector and a good portion of wire. The 313 had buttons that wear out showing the the white molded buttons underneath, the 453 doesn't have that issue. The compass color depends on the make as well.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...02-TC-or-CV-GM
    Thanks for that info, homelink would be nice to have as I have it in my '02. Temp isn't required as my thermometer mirror is still pretty accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Pvt.Hudson
    replied
    Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    Suppose I grabbed a newer panther rear view mirror from a junkyard with auto dim how hard would that be to wire up? What if it also has the mirror in the compass like my LSE.

I feel like I’ve seen this mod done to boxes before.
    Gentex 313/453 will have Homelink contained on the mirror as well as a compass if you want that feature. You can usually find them on Nissans, Mazda's and Kia's. Just be sure to grab the connector and a good portion of wire. The 313 had buttons that wear out showing the the white molded buttons underneath, the 453 doesn't have that issue. The compass color depends on the make as well.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    auto dim mirror is easy. Power, ground, connection to the reverse light circuit so it un-dims when backing up. If you add the compass, I assume it may also have a connection to the dash light circuit for dimming. If 83 had auto dim optional it will probably also have harness connectors with the connections already. Just need to get wires from there up the A pillar and across.
    Don't think the harness would already be run up the A pillar but I'd expect a plug somewhere down in the kick panel area.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by aharonLTC View Post
    I bought a Gentex 455 with compass to refit in my 1988 Town Car. The compass is built into the mirror and calibrated itself after 1 trip around the block.

There may be different color options for the compass, mine fortunately came in teal matching the rest of the dash lights, I got it on eBay for $25 removed from some Mazda, newer panther cars maybe the compass is green?

I took 12V in accessory from the same wire to my trunk popper button, but only because I didn't know at the time, under my driver footwell carpet there is the three wire plug for the factory auto dim mirror harness. It has 12V in run, ground, and 12v in reverse wires (Reverse sense force disables the dimming). If this connector is present in your car, it's the correct thing to pin into.

My 88's original mirror had a plastic button on the windshield incompatible with the new mirror, which thankfully came with its own metal button (. It had residual glue which I got off with a heatgun and screwdriver for scraping. I picked up a Permatex mirror button adhesive kit from Walmart (Auto part stores will have the same thing) and followed its instructions to adhere the metal button to my windshield. I never hooked up reverse sense.
    Thanks for the info. My Mark VI has a metal mirror button that I had to glue back on with the permatex stuff shortly after I bought the car so hopefully it will be compatible. My ‘02 LSE has the compass in green but that’s fine if it’s all I can find. I’ll have to look for that connector, the Mark VI was available with the auto dimming mirror in ‘83 so it might be there.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-03-2021, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aharonLTC
    replied
    I bought a Gentex 455 with compass to refit in my 1988 Town Car. The compass is built into the mirror and calibrated itself after 1 trip around the block.

There may be different color options for the compass, mine fortunately came in teal matching the rest of the dash lights, I got it on eBay for $25 removed from some Mazda, newer panther cars maybe the compass is green?

I took 12V in accessory from the same wire to my trunk popper button, but only because I didn't know at the time, under my driver footwell carpet there is the three wire plug for the factory auto dim mirror harness. It has 12V in run, ground, and 12v in reverse wires (Reverse sense force disables the dimming). If this connector is present in your car, it's the correct thing to pin into.

My 88's original mirror had a plastic button on the windshield incompatible with the new mirror, which thankfully came with its own metal button (. It had residual glue which I got off with a heatgun and screwdriver for scraping. I picked up a Permatex mirror button adhesive kit from Walmart (Auto part stores will have the same thing) and followed its instructions to adhere the metal button to my windshield. I never hooked up reverse sense.
    Last edited by aharonLTC; 12-02-2021, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Suppose I grabbed a newer panther rear view mirror from a junkyard with auto dim how hard would that be to wire up? What if it also has the mirror in the compass like my LSE.

I feel like I’ve seen this mod done to boxes before.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    Hey,
    I don't have any info on the brake pressure switch for you but I was wondering if you are familiar with the television series Supernatural? In particular I like Castiels' car starting in season 9.
    About 6 years ago I dated a girl who was really into Supernatural. We re started the series and I watched up until season 5 or 6 before I got burnt out on it. Anything over 4 or 5 seasons is just too much for me unless I really get into it.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    its not actually a pressure switch. it reads whether the slide valve in the prop valve assembly is moved one way or the other. Either its not centered, or the switch is just bad. No idea if its available or not.

part number is D9BZ-2B254-A for all 80-83 Mark VI and basically everything else that uses that sort of valve assembly. Official name is "switch, brake pressure differential valve warning lamp"
    Thanks, I'll have to look into it.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    its not actually a pressure switch. it reads whether the slide valve in the prop valve assembly is moved one way or the other. Either its not centered, or the switch is just bad. No idea if its available or not.

part number is D9BZ-2B254-A for all 80-83 Mark VI and basically everything else that uses that sort of valve assembly. Official name is "switch, brake pressure differential valve warning lamp"

Leave a comment:

• jaywish
    replied
    Hey,
    I don't have any info on the brake pressure switch for you but I was wondering if you are familiar with the television series Supernatural? In particular I like Castiels' car starting in season 9.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Now that the Mark VI is in the garage for the winter I've been fiddling around here and there with some little odds and ends. Still trying to get the brake light to go out, I removed the bulb from the dash awhile back. I got bored the other day and put the light back in and it's stuck on. I pulled the plug off the sensor on the proportioning valve and stuck a jumper wire in it and the light went out. I tried contact cleaner but when I plug it in the light still comes on. I'm guessing either the pressure switch is bad or it's sensing low pressure, the later doesn't make sense to me as the brakes are just fine. Is this pressure switch still available? And if so is replacing it going to get me into a situation where I have to bleed brakes?

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Usually located right side of the steering column under the dash. Look for the box with a speaker grill (lots of little holes in a circular pattern) on it. I think the stand alone cruise control modules are also located in that spot if equipped, but I could be mistaken on that one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X