glue from automatic starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glue from automatic starter?

The old guy I bought the vic from had an auto started installed with the little box w/ blinking red LED and antennas stuck to the windshield above the rearview mirror.

It looked like a pretty sloppy job was done, and ontop of that, some of the glue must have melted and the unit fell off. Now there's some stuff left on the window and it's hardened. I want to get all of this off of there and reattach the receiver and not do such a sloppy job that glue is not coming out the sides etc

What's the best way to go about this? Removing the glue (or whatever it is) and then adhering the starter to the car again? Right now the starter is just resting ontop of my mirror, which is fine, but it could be better.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    The old guy I bought the vic from had an auto started installed with the little box w/ blinking red LED and antennas stuck to the windshield above the rearview mirror.

It looked like a pretty sloppy job was done, and ontop of that, some of the glue must have melted and the unit fell off. Now there's some stuff left on the window and it's hardened. I want to get all of this off of there and reattach the receiver and not do such a sloppy job that glue is not coming out the sides etc

What's the best way to go about this? Removing the glue (or whatever it is) and then adhering the starter to the car again? Right now the starter is just resting ontop of my mirror, which is fine, but it could be better.
    you might try using some paint thinnner or perhaps even some reducer or something that is a or will act asd a solvent also 3M makes a pretty decent adhesive remover as well so here s list of stuff to try
    1.lighterfluid
    2.brakepartscleaner
    3.paintthinner
    4.automotive paint reducer
    5.defumed gasoline
    6.3M adhesive remover
    im sure theres more but i cant think of anything at the moment
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Use a single edge razor blade to scrape the glue off... just like you do for the rear view mirror when it falls off, and you have to re-apply it... Clean the windshield with rubbing alcohol, to make sure it is clean, then get some of the 3-M double face tape for body molding.. (Black or dark grey with the RED tape that you remove to apply it... and put a strip or two of that on the box, and re-attach it... Nice thing about that particular tape is it is a dark color, so it won't show up from the front of the windshield. (from outside the car)

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
      Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Thanks!
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What Tom said. Scrape off as much as you can with the razor, but if anything is left over that the alcohol won't touch, a dab of lighter fluid or brakleen on a rag should free it right up.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got it! Gonna go get some double-sided 3M tape in a bit.
            sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't use double sided tape. I would do it the correct way, and get some of the 2 part Windshield Rearview mirror glue, (that most autoparts stores sell) which is made for bonding Metal and Plastic to Window Glass. It drys fully clear as well, so you don't have to see tape showing through on the other side of the glass. Make sure you get it right the 1st time though, the stuff is extremely tough to remove if you mess up.

Comment

What he said. I think the heat would break the glue down on the 3M tape, and you'll end up with the same problem as before. I have my tach attached to my dash with 3M tape and it did the same thing.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't use double sided tape.
                  There are different double sided tapes... the type I was talking about id either grey or black in color, and is used to hold the moulding on the outside of the car.... it is tough, and does not come off easily....
                  I have had a transmitter for our local toll bridge attached to my windshield for the last 5 years, and it has never came off... and that is with the 100 + degrees inside the car daily while it is parked... But, if you want to use something else... whatever!
                  Last edited by trwp72; 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                  Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

It's not about wanting to use something different, it's about doing things the right way, so that they last in the long term. Doing quality work on the car that you love, and not half-assing things. That is what I'm all about.

I'm only trying to help, it doesn't bother me at all if people don't heed my advice.

Comment

Got some rear view mirror glue and used that. Worked perfectly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X