horn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horn?

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or another, but, could I rig a second horn? I've got the button on either side of my steering wheel for the horn and there are two under ye olde hood, so...could I tear one of them out and get an old timey "AH OOOH GAH" horn and use one of the buttons for that and one for my regular horn?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Horns are pretty easy to wire up. I'd suggest using a relay though, as they draw quite a bit of current when they are in use. Even so it's pretty easy.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

I understand that there are two outputs, if you will, behind the horn pad but i dont know it they can be used individually of each other or not. I guess you could try it, but like GoodSamaritan said use a relay to power it.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't think there are two separate contacts on the slip ring for the two different horn buttons - I think they combine and then go into the slip ring in the steering column as a single contact. Can anyone confirm/deny? It's been quite some time since I had mine apart.

Comment

On mine it seems to connect up as one piece right at the actual wheel. I was thinking along these lines recently, but I think you'd need to take one of 3 basic routes:

1. have the new horn entirely separately activated. New wiring and a button or pullstring or whatever somewhere in the cabin

2. mount the new horn (in series?) to go off along with the current horn. If it's louder, it'll be the main thing you hear. This probably wouldn't work with the oohgah horn.

3. Do a direct swap of the current horns with the new one(s) and have it still run through the steering wheel.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            2. mount the new horn (in series?) to go off along with the current horn. If it's louder, it'll be the main thing you hear. This probably wouldn't work with the oohgah horn.
            I doubt either horn will sound right in if you wire it in series. Series would mean that the ground wire of one horn went to the hot wire of the other horn, and then that horn in turn was grounded to the frame.

If you wire the horns together, wire in parallel, (meaning one hot wire splits into two hot wires which go to each horn, then both horns are grounded) but put a relay on the non-stock horn so you don't blow fuses.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Do you have cruise? Does it work?

I'm not sure how many wires come from the cruise control buttons, but you could have as many as five different horns triggered that way. It all depends on how FOMOCO configured them.
              Of course it goes without saying that you would absolutely have to everything through relays to make it work.

Now I have visions of a box with the whole grille filled with different horns. You could make your car sound like a one vehicle traffic jam.
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Will a pre-'85 multifunction switch bolt up to your column? If so, that could be one convenient way to actuate a second horn.

BTW, factory horns used relays at least by '87. I discovered this while investigating why some juryrigged horn wiring left my horns all quiet and tinny-sounding.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have 4 horns wired in parallel, the resulting tone is way off-key and very annoying, but very noticeable.

You could wire a SPDT toggle switch and relay to change from normal to ahooga horns using the horn pad button to activate both individually.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                    Do you have cruise? Does it work?
                    yep and yep
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I actually kind of hate the stock horn, so could I just replace it with the other?
                      sigpic

Comment

No, it's physically impossible to disconnect the stock horns.

j/k Actually, that'd probably be your very easiest approach if you want louder aftermarket horns on the car.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thought so. thanks bro
                          sigpic

Comment

Cool I have stock horns, oogah horn, and a set of air horns in the cruiser, and a oogah horn in the party van
                            sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
                            [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
                            [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
                            [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

What work is involved in replacing the stock horn?
                              Last edited by 1990LTD; 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X