Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there anything that would cause water to leak..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually I think we're talking about different pieces now...door weather stripping doesn't actually seem to be what's letting water in, but the piece at the top of the door under the trim was like halfway pulled out so I think that might have been a leak point. Door drains are another likely culprit.

I think I need to pull a piece of that stuff out of the car and measure it then order some. a 25ft roll would more than do if I'm just doing the separate piece at the top of the door. It looks the most like style 1 but I guess if I don't pull it out of the car again to measure I won't know for sure.

btw, sorry for all of the stupid fuckin' questions about this.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You talking about that piece that stays with the body of the car when the doors are opened and travel just under that aluminum trim?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah is that the door seal you mentioned earlier? a section of mine on that door has the "foot" missing on it so it doesn't stay under the trim, I guess that's why it moves out and lets water in
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

FYI earlier in the thread I was talking about the door weather stripping since I thought that was where the leak was..but nope. I don't know why I thought the stripping on that door was bad, because it's fine, the stuff on my door, though...
          sigpic

Comment

I was not referring to that in this thread. That is only an extra back up to keep water away. Even with that gone the actual door weatherstripping should not let water in. My car had that piece you are referring to removed for over a year now and no leaks. So if you are getting leaks the root of the problem would be the door weatherstripping.

EDIT You need to take a picture of what the hell you are talking about. Then I can help you out. Each post makes it sound like you are talking about something different.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was never sure what piece you were referring to either, haha, so that likely added to the confusion.

thanks for your help
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post

I don't know how to check the drains and what not
                Pour some water over the door. The water should go through the door, and down. The drains are at the bottom of the door, two on each, they look like ovals. Stick a small screw driver in there to push any debris away. Very clogged drains will allow water to build up and overflow into the interior. You can also hear sloshing water in the door if it's bad enough...

Comment

Thanks 86.

Also, I don't think anything is left on the lock striker as far as a bushing goes. Does anyone have a pic of a proper one installed?
                  sigpic

Comment

Basically, picture what you have plus a cylindrical greyish bushing (Or try looking at your other doors...) I believe that you have the type of striker that allows you to replace the bushing (it has the striker and some square bracket around it). The help rack at the parts store should be able to help you replace the bushings. You'll also need a T-50 bit to remove the striker to replace the bushing. Be sure to mark where the striker was. Or you're gonna have alignment problems.

Comment

thanks again. there must be no bushing left on any of them because they all look the same.. just the metal cylinder
                      sigpic

Comment

~David~

Comment

you fucking rock
                          sigpic

Comment

Dave, the tape trick is a great idea to mark the original spot of the striker, but you know you didn't have to replace the whole striker, those strikers you can replace the bushings.

Comment

I would have had to force the bolt out of the bracket. It does not slide through worth a lick.
                              ~David~

Comment

floor pan plugs....where to get them?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X