My JBL Swap(In Progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
    Forget about the wire colors for a moment and focus on the pin numbers of the main power connector. (The one with 8 pins all in a line)

Pin 1 - Radio Memory Power - Should be hot (12 VDC) at all times & fused!

Pin 2 - Ground

Pin 3 - Radio Main Power - Should be hot in ACC & RUN only (12 VDC)

Pin 4 - Radio Backlight Dimming - Should show 0-12 VDC when headlights are on and dimming rheostat is turned.

Pin 5 - Same as Pin 4

Pin 6 - Ground

Pin 7 - Radio "On" Signal (Output) Goes hot (~ 12 VDC) when radio turns on. This line goes to the CD Player/Changer & takes it out of stand-by mode so it can play discs. It is also used to trigger the power antenna in some cars. (DO NOT connect directly to Power Antenna...must use relay)

Pin 8 - Radio "On" Signal (Output) Goes hot (~ 10 VDC) when radio turns on. This line goes to the Main Amplifier & takes it out of stand-by mode so it can work. This is also known as "LOGIC MUTE"

Leave all other connectors unplugged for a moment and verify that you have the main connector wired correctly. If you get the correct voltages at the proper times, then the radio should turn on and off normally. If it doesn't, then radio may be at fault.
    Last edited by TwoTimeSC; 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM.

Comment

thanks. also do i need to hook up that yellow with black wire from the jbl amplifier that says for premium sound only or no. will it hurt to hook it up.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

thanks. also do i need to hook up that yellow with black wire from the jbl amplifier that says for premium sound only or no. will it hurt to hook it up.
        No, I don't believe it will hurt to hook it up but you can try without it first. The JBL amp draws more current than the Premium Sound amp and normally gets its 12 volt feed separately so it is fused separately. The premium sound amp draws its power from the same supply as what feeds the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTimeSC View Post
          Forget about the wire colors for a moment and focus on the pin numbers of the main power connector. (The one with 8 pins all in a line)

Pin 1 - Radio Memory Power - Should be hot (12 VDC) at all times & fused!

Pin 2 - Ground

Pin 3 - Radio Main Power - Should be hot in ACC & RUN only (12 VDC)

Pin 4 - Radio Backlight Dimming - Should show 0-12 VDC when headlights are on and dimming rheostat is turned.

Pin 5 - Same as Pin 4

Pin 6 - Ground

Pin 7 - Radio "On" Signal (Output) Goes hot (~ 12 VDC) when radio turns on. This line goes to the CD Player/Changer & takes it out of stand-by mode so it can play discs. It is also used to trigger the power antenna in some cars. (DO NOT connect directly to Power Antenna...must use relay)

Pin 8 - Radio "On" Signal (Output) Goes hot (~ 10 VDC) when radio turns on. This line goes to the Main Amplifier & takes it out of stand-by mode so it can work. This is also known as "LOGIC MUTE"

Leave all other connectors unplugged for a moment and verify that you have the main connector wired correctly. If you get the correct voltages at the proper times, then the radio should turn on and off normally. If it doesn't, then radio may be at fault.

ok car not running pin 8 the blue wire is constantly getting 10V. no key in ignition.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Sumting Wong

Comment

so i finally using pauls directions i have every wire hooked up to the radio right. so far it has not stopped working. the only thing wrong now is i have no am/fm stations. i am thinking this is a headunit problem.

Comment

sounds like it. its one of the common failure modes.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so i finally using pauls directions i have every wire hooked up to the radio right. so far it has not stopped working. the only thing wrong now is i have no am/fm stations. i am thinking this is a headunit problem.
                  That is a VERY common problem almost always due to capacitor leakage.
                  Head unit needs looked at.

Does tape work okay? Double check antenna connection?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTimeSC View Post
                    That is a VERY common problem almost always due to capacitor leakage.
                    Head unit needs looked at.

Does tape work okay? Double check antenna connection?

antenna connection is fine. tape player works fine. I will be sendin you the mark vii jbl headunit and the amplifier. the headunit plays music only on the left side and the amplifier has disorted sound. both will be sent to you for a total rebuild and after those are rebuilt i will send you the town car headunit and other amplifier. how much to rebuild the headunit and amplifier.

Comment

after those are rebuilt i will send you the town car headunit and other amplifier.
                      The one's you're pulling for me?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        The one's you're pulling for me?

ah no i have yours pulled already i am sending you a pic on my phone of the stuff. i just need moolah to buy it now. and as far as i know it Paul doesnt work on that kind of jbl system. but it may be a good unit came out of a 1988 town car signature series with on 46,000 on it.

Comment

so today i went to the junkyard to pick up the jbl system from the 88 town car for John Sexton. Going back tommorow for the dash speakers and the wiring harness. Heres pics of johns jbl stuff. testing it tommorow.

Comment

Sex!!!!!!! Thanks dude!

Edit: would anyone happen to know what that small box on the side of the amp is?
                            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 06-24-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Its a filter capacitor.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Its a filter capacitor.
                                Wow...

Comment

Working...
                                X