X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohm my speakers out lol

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
      well guess what the problem is still persisting. now its down to find out which of the 4 speakers left is putting out too much current. it has to be a speaker.

also slymer are those dash speakers 8 ohms.
      I don't have speakers... just spare adapter plates to fit 4 inch aftermarket speakers in the wonky 5 inch hole.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The premium and JBL front speakers are the same. Only the rear speakers are different with the JBL stuff. Just unplug the dash speakers and leave the 8 ohm door speakers for troubleshooting. that should duplicate the Mark VII wiring, as long as nothing is pinched to ground or shorted or anything like that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          The premium and JBL front speakers are the same. Only the rear speakers are different with the JBL stuff. Just unplug the dash speakers and leave the 8 ohm door speakers for troubleshooting. that should duplicate the Mark VII wiring, as long as nothing is pinched to ground or shorted or anything like that.

already did and still doing it. now what speaker is causing this curse.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

have you tried swapping the amp? What size wire do you have feeding power to the amplifier, and where is it grounded to? If it doesn't have a proper power supply, it won't work right.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the ground wire is a thick red wire and goes directly to the headunit. the headunits ground goes to the ground bus under the dash.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

And the power wire?

Comment

grounds should not be red
                  grounds should not go to the head unit
                  grounds should be black
                  grounds should be as short as practical, and go somewhere to the body

now what about the + feed? The wiring to the head unit from the fuse box is not heavy enough. It should go either directly to the fuse box, or better yet, to the battery with a fuse holder as close to the battery as you can get. 10 ga wire should be plenty for that run.

Comment

grounds should not be red
                    grounds should not go to the head unit
                    grounds should be black
                    grounds should be as short as practical, and go somewhere to the body
                    I agree with you 100%. However, that's how it is in the car. It's even in the wiring diagrams.

Comment

the case is also grounded, so when its mounted, it should ground that way. Thats actually why those amps are supposed to be bolted in. The wiring isn't really sufficient.

are you f'n serious that the ground lead is red from the factory? what moron devised that?

Comment

the case is also grounded, so when its mounted, it should ground that way. Thats actually why those amps are supposed to be bolted in. The wiring isn't really sufficient.

are you f'n serious that the ground lead is red from the factory? what moron devised that?
                        Swear to god, it's even the same on my JBL headunit.

Comment

yep big red thick wire is a ground according to the wiring diagrams and paul protos.

Comment

well problem fixed. i started to disconnect speakers one by one to see which was the issue and found the culprit. the passenger side rear deck speaker was the issue. only put out 4 ohms with radio off and 2 ohms with radio on. so replaced it with another and now it is working like new. Im happy now i can have tunes to scottfest and 86vickylx house on next wednesday.

Comment

tunes is good

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                                tunes is good
                                Indeed it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X