Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yo remove a base model door panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do yo remove a base model door panel?

Need to get at the rod for the drivers side door handle.

Base model, no power options '84 LTD.

I ask, because I'll probably miss something and break it...

Should only be a few screws and many clips. The clips tend to break or get out of shape so be careful.....look for hidden screws near the handle etc.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Does the handle/armrest come apart?

I can't tell and I can't find any screws.

Comment

Not sure on an '84 but if there are no screws for the armrest, it may be molded into the door which means it comes off with the rest of the panel. Remove one thing at a time and the rest will reveal itself

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

This should help with removing the window crank:

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Mine was even easier, it was just held on by a screw, gentle wiggle and it came right off.

I'm more worried about that armrest and the little trim piece for the mirror control knob, but it will wait to tomorrow and the morning light.

Comment

the screws should be seen from below on the armrest.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tsk tsk tsk....

For base model boxes, you carefully pry the top of the armrest off with a big flat screwdriver. Then you will find 4 or 5 screws holding the armrest to the door.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ah... I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case, but it's been so long since I messed with one, I couldn't remember.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah I figured it out, took me a minute, but I got it. Took a little prying at first.

The rod came loose from the door handle and had to go in and get it.
                    Last edited by TFatseas; 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

If the clips around the door panel break (im sure some will) You can get new ones from the HELP section at autoparts stores...thankfully they are still available. I just went ahead and replaced all of them with new when i took my door panels off.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X