Help! Fungus disaster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
    I'd think he'd need to remove and immersion-soak the entire fucking dash too. Personally, I think it's a lost cause. As someone who has breathing problems, it's just about the worst feeling in the world not to be able to breathe. The g/f's health and safety probably trumps any emotional attachment to this vehicle. Strip it for parts, cluster, heater control, light switch, and patiently search to find one that matches color/options to replace it with.

They made a billion of these cars, and you can always find your match-mate given enough time and patience. Good luck.
    I rather agree with this statement, but if money is tight and other transportation isn't an option right now... I'd rip out everything I could (dash included) and clean everything as best as I could (dash and driver seat first to bolt it back in to make it streetable) and drive the car as I worked on the rest of it and put stuff back in as it gets cleaned.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If your girl's health and your gear are at stake, I wouldn't even put them in it after a 'nuke' cleaning.
      I'd just clean up what you can, sell it, and buy another if you want a box panther. Even if it has family memories, it's not worth risking her health or your gear. Sounds like your family are kinda lame anyway, if they let it sit and get rained-into for so long!
      (just messin' with ya)
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You will need to remove everything and clean the snot out of the car with bleech install new interior don't do the job half way, chances the mold is in to deep. As for the A/C you take the car to an A/C shop to inject mold killer in the system. Good luck.

Comment

I would sell it and buy another Panther that doesn't have mold. Good luck with whichever path you choose!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I forgot to say you would be plauged with electrical problems so good luck to ya.

Comment

I've decided to strip the lower interior. I will be replacing the carpet and cleaning the living hell out of the seats. The headliner seems fine (?) and i've sprayed the seats with this stuff called concrobium after pulling them all out.

The jute body insulation was soaked through despite the carpet dry, and there was light rusting of the floor panels. nothing too major.

I actually got it fired up and took it around the block. The mold seems to be coming off easily and simply, but I am still very paranoid about it in general. Though, as long as I not let it be a swamp inside again, I should not have a mold conductive environment and i'll be fine?

While vaccuming the seats, the velour started coming off (wtf!) so I may end up replacing the seats too if I can find a good place to source parts. No matter what happens i'm detonating a mold nuke inside this thing when i'm done with it.

I'll post photos eventually.
              Last edited by Crash; 05-07-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

The car has actually cleaned up surprisingly well, thanks to the fact that the seats are not made of an organic material. However, I am still paranoid about infecting my camera gear.

If anyone knows of a good yard in the DC Metro area where I can get parts for this let me know! I'm tempted to just buy a whole damn parts car, but I don't have a towing ability and funds are short, so I was trying to do this piecemeal. I also have a 36 Tudor that needs a clutch job

Comment

I wish I could help with the yards. I'd say do a Google maps search for salvage yards in the area and start calling around. Worst case they don't have anything or are too expensive.

Are you looking at swapping out the whole interior or just the seats?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                  X