Loose shifter - looking for guidance on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose shifter - looking for guidance on this

'91 LTD Country Squire, car won't shift into park and there's a ton of slop in the shifter. This is one of the spring projects when I take it out of storage.

Pretty sure it's just a loose shift tube, or bushings, but not 1000% sure. I know the two T30 bolts all the way at the bottom of the column are tight (because I tightened them last year).

Found this thread, with pics, on CVN...seems to be on an Aero. Can someone confirm that the procedure is the same for the '91 column?
    Did you hear a pop when trying to shift and now your shift lever is loose? remove the covers including the ignition tumbler. remove the bracket under the steering column. disconnect the cable bracket from the bottom of the shift tube. the red arrow is the inside lower steering co…

Really need to fix this because I'm sick of using the parking brake and starting the car in neutral.
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
    formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Yes, same column/procedure applies to '90+
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Appreciate it!
      '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
      formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Working...
      X