No announcement yet.

Wall Street's ride, Lincoln Town Car, faces demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah the change I know for 2006 panthers is rack and pinion steering when did they go to rack and pinion vs steering box?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

In 03 is when they first put rack and pinion in panthers.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I read in Car & Driver that the Town Car has been saved, so it's safe for another few years at least.

w00t! 500th post!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The s-10 and ranger were and have been around almost as long.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
            I read in Car & Driver that the Town Car has been saved, so it's safe for another few years at least.

w00t! 500th post!
            SWEEEET!

Here's what's being said about the future of the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis. Nothing about the Town Car though...

Originally posted by Wikipedia - Grand Marquis
            Despite rumors to the contrary, Ford has announced that they will continue to produce the Grand Marquis through at least 2010.

The company does plan on redesigning it along with the Crown Victoria sometime in the future, likely retiring the Panther platform altogether and moving them to the Ford D2C platform (used by the Ford Mustang). While Ford would likely replace the Crown Victoria name with something along the lines of Fairlane (or maybe even Galaxie[citation needed], to go out of Ford's plans to use names that start with the letter "F"), the Grand Marquis name would most likely be shortened back to "Marquis" to go along with Mercury naming their cars with names that begin with the letter "M".
            Originally posted by Wikipedia - Crown Victoria
            Ford was rumored to be considering replacing the aging Panther platform with the front or all-wheel drive platform based on the D3 architecture, something Ford has denied.

Another rumor going around at Ford is that the Crown Victoria will eventually be replaced by one of two vehicles:

Ford Australia announced plans to develop the 2009 Ford Falcon on a new Orion chassis, designed initially for Left-Hand drive and converted to Right-Hand drive for the Australian market. Some speculate that this new Falcon would eventually be built in the US or exported to the US market, reviving the Falcon name.
            The Panther platform would be retired altogether, replaced by a completely new vehicle based on the Ford D2C platform used for the Ford Mustang. To go with Ford's naming scheme of naming cars that start with the letter "F", the Crown Victoria name would be replaced by "Falcon" or "Fairlane". In addition, to go outside that naming scope, reviving the Galaxie nameplate has also been mentioned.
            As part of Ford's The Way Forward restructuring plan, it is possible for Ford to discontinue the Crown Victoria in 2009 and grow the Ford Five Hundred for 2010. Most fullsize sedans are beginning to shrink in size, and some flagship sedans (e.g. Toyota Avalon, Dodge Charger) are shorter and smaller than the Ford Five Hundred.
            Despite this, Ford has announced that the Crown Victoria's better selling twin, the Mercury Grand Marquis will stay in production until at least 2009, with the "Grand" dropped off the nameplate, so it will fit Mercury's new naming scheme of making all their cars start with the letter M. It is unclear if the front bench seating (6-passenger) feature will be retained by a redesign of the car or a renamed replacement.

On April 19, 2006, Ford Motor Company announced that the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor will remain in production "well into the future". [1]

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

that dont sound to bad if ford puts a new platform under the crown vics and grand mecs itll be here for AT LEAST and that is even if castatrophy struck ten years

Comment

They cant kill the Vicky name it has been around since henry#1 that would be STUPID!!!!
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                  They cant kill the Vicky name it has been around since henry#1 that would be STUPID!!!!
                  True, but if they brought back the Galaxie name for the full size cars, that'd be sweeeeeet!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

No more name ressurecting, and no more damn letters and/or numbers.

The Fairlane concept looks like a fucking toaster on wheels. An SUV, named Fairlane? The fuck?! Name ressurecting only proves to be a bad idea now days. Except the Challenger...I like the Chargers..but c'mon.
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

:stupid:
                      No more name ressurecting, and no more damn letters and/or numbers.

The Fairlane concept looks like a fucking toaster on wheels. An SUV, named Fairlane? The fuck?! Name ressurecting only proves to be a bad idea now days. Except the Challenger...I like the Chargers..but c'mon.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by boXman
                        They only have plans for the CV/GM until 2009...07's are already out...2 more years. 30 years is a long run...what other platform has run that long?

Just thought I'ld bring up the GM Suburban. If my memory serves, its been in the Chebbie arsenal since the mid 50's.

The Admiral

Comment

I'm with Keeping the names IF AND ONLY IF!! they do a faithful job matching the car to the name ...Like the Challenger it looks and feels like a challenger should. I think they should KEEP the Vicky name and for the police cars and high performance Vick's they should call them Galaxy 500's
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing another Turnpike Cruiser for a full-size Merc.

sigpic
                            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Yea, Suburbans go way back..but thats just the name. Platform has changed at some point, I'm sure.
                              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Actually, since 1960 I believe, its been on the same platform as the Chevy full-sized trucks. Before that, I know it was on a wagon frame. Hence subrubans to this day, have station wagon listed as the vehicle type on their titles.

heh sorry, the Suburban is the only thing other than the chevelle, that GM ever made that I like. Learned to drive on one, spent half of the last 2 years feeding half my paychecks to one. You could call it a love/hate kinda thang.

The Admiral

Comment

Working...
                                X