No announcement yet.

Wall Street's ride, Lincoln Town Car, faces demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first Suburban came out in 1935. I don't know what chassis it came on though. Still, that's a long time for it to still be around. And I don't know how many chassis' the Corvette has been through, but it came out in 1953.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by boXman
      30 years is a long run...what other platform has run that long?
      Vokswagen Beetle: 1938-2003= 65 years
      Citroen 2CV: 1948-1990= 42 years
      Jeep Cj: 1945-1986= 41 years
      Military Jeep: 1939-1981=42 years

just to list a few
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma

just to list a few
        How can you count the Beetle? It's not on the same platform today that it was in 1938. Only the name still exists, and then only after a lengthy interlude.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The original Beetle was still made to 03....just not here.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Oh....oops.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The Beetle was still sold in Mexico up till 03 like Jeremy said. They must not have safety laws down there, cuz it wouldn't pass in the states.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Car Trivia buff here,

The old VW Bugs were not officially called 'Beetles' until the 70s

Also, the "Crown Vic" name was not used during the 60s and 70s for big Fords. If they do bring a new big Ford, at least call it Galaxie or LTD.

The current Town Car is surviving since they are moving the tooling to STAP for 2008. Who knows how long?
                Former Box wagon tinkerer, had 3 GM CP's

Comment

[QUOTE=Enigma;186715]Vokswagen Beetle: 1938-2003= 65 years

The Dodge Powerwagon was built from 1946-1971 and was, essentially the same machine. It got a synchromesh tranny and a slightly bigger flathead 6 but looking at them you can't tell one from another. Of course Dodge called some later trucks Power Wagons but that was just a name.

Donald McCaig

Comment

[QUOTE=yucatec;233572]
                    Originally posted by Enigma View Post

The Dodge Powerwagon was built from 1946-1971 and was, essentially the same machine. It got a synchromesh tranny and a slightly bigger flathead 6 but looking at them you can't tell one from another. Of course Dodge called some later trucks Power Wagons but that was just a name.

Donald McCaig
                    While reading about the "long production runs" in this thread, the only thing I could think of was power wagons. I believe the style changed because they didn't want to fit the slant six in the old body style. I guess there were fitment issues.

Many forest rangers, and organizations that used power wagons petitioned the manufacturer to prevent a style change. Those were rugged trucks. I just read a thing in hemmings about them. My
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Dear Trainers,
                      I paid 1200$ for my (286 k?) '53 in 1973, rebuilt it from the frame up, used it (maybe another 25 k) - and sold it in 2005 ($6000). It was the on-farm truck, rarely got into town. It'd do, maybe 55mph on the asphalt and shaking all over the road while beating the driver to death. It never went more than thirty miles from home. But, with chains on all four, you couldn't stop it and with that 10K winch on the front, chained to a tree, I once pulled a loaded redimix truck out of my wife's garden and anothet ime, chained to a tractor with a plow in the ground, I pulled a 40 foot barn up hill.

It was my first prestige vehicle. My 1989 COLONY PARK is my second, and at 67, I presume last.

What both had in common was available expertise. The PW had a terrific parts source (and for a long while a magazine). Still has a gather. My Colony Park has Scott and this list and parts from Pete Veitch.

A long time ago, with the Powerwagon, I faced a decision: if I restore this vehicle (I owned a contemporary after market dump rig ) then I'm going to park this in the barn, take it to shows, and watch it appreciate.

Don't much care about that. I drove that powerwagon over small trees because it could do it and tore out the jump seats in the colony park because that space is a terrific trunk.

There are those who want to restore 'em and show 'em. I'm willing to put money into a car that does what I can't find elsewhere. In my case: Driving max of 13 hrs with four five or six dogs at high speed safely. I want enough power to pass at max load or on the onramp. I did 14000 miles last year. The 21.3 mpg is okay and if I can better it or power, I will., I'll sell 'em and get something I can use.

Buying my CP and bring it up to as good or better than 2007's is dollar wise
                      not much different from buying a new/recently used Chevy Suburban.

I figure I've got 20 k in the Boulevard Cruiser. Could buy an equivilant Suburban for the money.

But Scott has inspected/and or replaced every gasket, every flange and every bearing on the Boulevard Cruiser.

My body guy has painted it. All paint/ no rust.

The equivilant suburban can carry the same number of dogs but isn't as comfortable or (thanks to steering and handling Scottifying) as safe in an emergency. I get 21.3: it gets 8.

And the Suburabn eats 8 mpg.

So: With this list, the helpful thoughtful people on it and Scott: I can run an 18 year old wagon two dogs and me from Va to Ill next week without worry. I expect to be comfortable, fast, commodious( that's for the dogs) and, when I pull into the pastures where the sheepdog trials or held, I expect the limited slip wpn't get me stuck.

If you can get to the resources, sometimes the old way is the best way.

Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

Comment

Working...
                      X