1989 Town Car HO Conversion running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not like I'm winding it to 6 grand all the time here boys
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Some do, some don't. I've never worked on an 89 in that area so I don't know. I've never found a stock restrictor in a Panther though. In all honesty, the target market for these cars has zero use for one and Ford isn't gonna install something they can save 5 cents per car on. Grandma isn't going screaming down the road winding gears out, and even if she wanted to, the governer in the trans shifts at about 4400 rpm. Stick an HO in there, tweak the TV pressure, swap out the governer in the trans, and suddenly you're in the 4800-5000 rpm range, which makes a lot of difference. The pulleys are sized to spin the accessories fast, assuming a car with 2.73 or 3.08 gears rolling down the road. Need to keep the alternator and AC compressor working right, and lugging along like that you need good coolant flow to keep the motor from overheating. In stock form, these things were in overdrive by about 40 mph.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Some do, some don't. I've never worked on an 89 in that area so I don't know. I've never found a stock restrictor in a Panther though. In all honesty, the target market for these cars has zero use for one and Ford isn't gonna install something they can save 5 cents per car on. Grandma isn't going screaming down the road winding gears out, and even if she wanted to, the governer in the trans shifts at about 4400 rpm. Stick an HO in there, tweak the TV pressure, swap out the governer in the trans, and suddenly you're in the 4800-5000 rpm range, which makes a lot of difference. The pulleys are sized to spin the accessories fast, assuming a car with 2.73 or 3.08 gears rolling down the road. Need to keep the alternator and AC compressor working right, and lugging along like that you need good coolant flow to keep the motor from overheating. In stock form, these things were in overdrive by about 40 mph.
        Man, I had flashbacks of my grandma in her '75 Continental reading that, I seriously laughed out loud Thank you!

Anyways, I'll see if I can find a spare Mustang one..........(restrictor) just in case.
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

i hack em out of the heater hose on mark7's in the yards when i see em....when i remember lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

dont underdrives make the acessories spin faster???? arent they smaller? im confused.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
              dont underdrives make the acessories spin faster????
              No, that would be an OVERdrive pulley.

Comment

hhmmm... by the way, is that the small frame 3g you have there?
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

hhmmm... by the way, is that the small frame 3g you have there?
                  You are correct sir!

Comment

I thought it looked like it fit better than some big frames Ive seen...
                    I wish my alternator would hurry up and die so I could justify getting one. And Im also interested in how you mounted your fan... it looks good. I like things to look like they are supposed to be there!
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought it looked like it fit better than some big frames Ive seen...
                      I wish my alternator would hurry up and die so I could justify getting one. And Im also interested in how you mounted your fan... it looks good. I like things to look like they are supposed to be there!
                      That's what I liked about that fan too Its out of a Mark VIII, drops right in, no modifications necessary, the lower lip on the fan fits right into the factory shroud brackets at the bottom of the rad, and then use bolts to bolt it through at the top like the factory shroud.

Comment

what year donor???!?!
                        sigpic

Comment

what year donor???!?!
                          Any Mark VIII.

Comment

Working...
                          X