No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the bolt on the bottom will come out cleanly to be re-used on the rear shocks. Rear springs aren't an issue... release the shocks and lift the rer end until the springs come loose, then knock them out and replace. lower the car back down and install the new shocks on the way down. The front ones are the dangerous ones. there's a couple of ways to get them out, but basically you have to release the lower control arm with a jack under it to control the drop. Most folks I've heard of doing this separate the lower ball joint from the spindle and drop it that way with a jack slowing things down. and just reverse the process to put the new springs in. be very careful with the front springs and stand aside as best as you can just in case something slips.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I sure hope the bolt/spacer and all comes out of my old rear shocks. My dad wasn't sure or not if they would. I hope they do though as it would be a hassle to find correct ones.

Thanks for the run down. I think my dad and I will try doing the rear ones first then move on to the front if we feel ambitious. I hear the upper bolt for the shocks are a pain removing.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've never gotten new hardware for the lower shocks any time I've bought new ones.

Upper bolt for the rear is not horrible if you have a long enough wrench to get in there. Its worse if the body mounts are sunk though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the rear shock upper nut is a pain if your body mounts are shot and the body is sitting on the frame. i was always able to sneak a saws all in there to cut it off. the front springs are not bad if you got a spring compressor. loosen your ball joint and control arm bolts, compress the spring, then undo the ball joint castle nut. the spring falls out.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I've never gotten new hardware for the lower shocks any time I've bought new ones.

Upper bolt for the rear is not horrible if you have a long enough wrench to get in there. Its worse if the body mounts are sunk though.
            I feel at ease now.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            the rear shock upper nut is a pain if your body mounts are shot and the body is sitting on the frame. i was always able to sneak a saws all in there to cut it off. the front springs are not bad if you got a spring compressor. loosen your ball joint and control arm bolts, compress the spring, then undo the ball joint castle nut. the spring falls out.
            I guess we will find out if the body mounts are shot.

The front will be done without a spring compressor.

My dad was babbling something about removing the rotors etc because they get in the way when you knock the ball joint loose or something. W/E I don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done. Can't disagree with dad when he is helping you with everything.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ratcheting box-end wrench is your friend with the upper bolt on the rear shocks.
              Something like this:
              http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-66053.html

The lisle tool is your friend for the upper nut on the front shocks.
              This thing:
              http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3007-lisle-20400.aspx
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Cool! gotta see if I have any of that.
                ~David~

Comment

You can get replacement lower shock mount bolt/stud nuts in the HELP section, worst case.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

if you have an evilly rusted front shock (one on the Mark was rusted solid to the nut and would not break free for anything), a dremel with a grinding wheel (or 3) is a very nice thing to have. Grind off at the bottom of the nut... once the top is off... take a hammer and something solid (center punch... solid metal screwdriver... crowbar) and give it a tap or two and what's left of the nut will come off and the shock will fall out. the new shocks will go on easy though.

I soaked that damn nut in PB Blaster for about an hour (IIRC) and it never gave up. I finally just ground the damn thing off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

get new ones to be safe! i had to wreck the previous ones but thankfully all 4 shocks had mounting hardware with them.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I feel special. Even my cheap Gabriel Ultra's came with new bottom bolts.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Very good. If need be my local AZ does in fact have lower shock HELP hardware.
                          ~David~

Comment

Just undercoated the front wheels wells on my car. Removed the wheels and cleaned up everything real good and sprayed them. I used RustOleum Professional undercoating. It came out good and covered well, but 15 ounces was not really enough. It made it okay but I would have liked more out of each can. Each wheel well took a full 15 ounce can! Next up are the rears once I pick up some more undercoating. I underestimated lol.

Maybe even pick up the shock HELP kit as well at AZ tomorrow.
                            ~David~

Comment

Just got caught up up the thread and the vic is looking BEAUTIFUL! Perfect mirror shine on the paint. The whole front end looks completely mint. Underhood is looking super clean as well. Excellent work! Glad you stuck with the vinyl top, they look good new. Keep up the good work!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Thanks Mark.

The underhood is not bad. Nate would still ring me by the neck though if he saw it in person. Lots of compound is dried on everything. The paint does help though make you miss it all. I just went over everything with a rag before the pictures to remove the dried compound.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X