PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 85HPP 3G alternator install

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

Default 85HPP 3G alternator install

Finally got around to dropping a 3G in... I sure do love the easy mods!

I used a small case 3G, and it fit my 65 amp external regulated alt brackets with no cutting or grinding. Getting the belt on was a little tricky, since the 3G pulley seems a tad wider, and the bulkier case of the 3G limited the tension travel to the last half of the adjustment notch.
    I just used the longer 505 belt and loosened the alternator brackets up, this gave me just enough wiggle room to pop the belt over the pulley.

I used an OEM 3G charge wire I found in an early 90's Explorer - this one has two fuse links in the wire and was just the right length to reach my fuse box. It looks like if you dont tuck it away, it may reach the + terminal of a top post battery...
    I wired it to 'sense' off the output stud temporarily until I work some mojo on the fender end of the old wire harness to splice this and the excite/warning lamp wires in. A few of the wires behind the car-end of the connector are cracked up... I want to pull each one out of the connector and put some shrink tubing on them...

I also learned that the warning lamp circuit IS the excite signal for the thing to charge... I knew the green wire was for the lamp circuit, but I didn't know it was needed to charge. When i started it up it didn't charge until I made a quick-jump for the warning lamp circuit...

wiring I removed (this is also the old coil wiring... its unused since the SEFI conversion eliminated it and it shares the alternator harness)

I also installed the vacuum box/relay holder Tom brought me... the one and a half studs worked great mang!!

looks great pete glad to see you finally did the 3g conversion to the 85. no only the 91 lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

sweet.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Nice job mang! I also like that heater hose re-route! what kinda fittings you use?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Thanks mangs!

The heater hose fittings are just a 1/2" 90 degree pipe elbow and a bling bling heater hose fitting I found at auto zone.
    The hoses are different because the CFI outlet wouldn't work with the SEFI upper, and I dont like the silly pipes bolted to the intake. I had intended to have it point more towards the rear, but the fuel line was in the way. The ECT sensor is now back in the unused water port under the upper intake. I eventually plan to find a molded 3/4" hose with an elbow bend in it to get rid of the ghetto plastic elbow deal

nice!
    do you need me to send you some upper intake bolts?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

yes if you have some!!
    I need the magical (7" I think) 5.0 explorer TB/spacer bolts... Mark said these are what he used to hold his upper/spacer down. The stock ones are too short since I am using a spacer, and the ones you see are the next longest ones I could find between 4 stores!!!

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Those hoses are dirty Are they from the car's CFI days mang?
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

Mercedes Benz S Class W126 ,Ford Grand Marquis Club & Road Dog Trucking owner on Facebook Cable Guys FGMQ's Avatar

Very nice Pete....
    2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
    85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
    07 JCL 250 A Scooter
    79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Wiring update:

You can see here (split loom is off for the pic) how and where I joined the 3G wiring into the car's wiring.
    The yellow 'sense' wire on the 3G harness is wired into the red/green 'run' wire, and the green one is wired into the green/red wire for the excite trigger and warning light.
    Since the coil wiring has been previously changed, this is the only connection I have remaining here, aside from the bridge the brown wire makes.
    Everyone else will need to keep the coil wiring of course, but the wiring between the old alternator and the regulator can go.
    Along with the alternator/coil/regulator wires, this connector also holds the wires for the oil level, pressure, and temperature sensors (which have also been removed). This should be the same for most 85 and older cars...

more wiring goodness - I finally bandaged the cracked wires behind that fender connector... I un-taped the harness back enough to get behind all the cracks and shrink wrapped them. Only each of the red wires were cracked :confused:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3716s.jpg  

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I really think something in the coloring used on the wire insulation determines how fast the wires break down. When I rewired my 1939 Philco, some of the wires were fine, some were shot. All the red were done for, most of the green were bad, but almost all of the black were fine. Other colors were hit and miss depending on location.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I like your notes. Makes for an easy re installation of wires.
    ~David~

yup - you wanna make sure you get em back in right!
    You shoulda seen my chicken scratchings from when I wired in the fuse/relay box

omg forget about that.. spaghetti for sure.
    ~David~

LumpyCheeseman

what pray tell is that thing behind the battery?

That be the aero fuse/relay box that I hard wired the headlights/foglights/entire car into.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3031

since i am not allowed to post in your fuse box thread i will ask here.

That fuse box you installed is taking place of just fusible links and such.....like things JUST under the hood. OR is it also taking place of the fuse box under the steering column? I really like what you did...and if i am feeling brave enough once and have all of the correct resources i wouldnt mind venturing into a project like that.
    ~David~

LumpyCheeseman

whats the one on the drivers side?

vacuum box i believe????
    ~David~

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast