Trac-loc rebuild ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trac-loc rebuild ?

So i'm gonna put some 4.30 gears in my car for the time being to satisfy me until I get the other engine built. So I would like to do a quick rebuild on my trac-loc and tighten it up because its getting weak and kicks out every now and then. So where is a good place to get a rebuild kit from? Also maybe a how to article for a performance rebuild, hints, tips, and suggestions welcome.

nevermind on how to I found one http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...build-how.html in case anyone else is interested.

So anyway good place to buy one?
    Last edited by 1980c10; 11-01-2009, 11:49 AM. Reason: found article

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

I got mine on ebay last time.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got mine from summit.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I think im gonna get mine from laurel mountain mustang parts like in the write up, seems to be a good price.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Lemme know if you need an extra hand for this... id like to see how its done!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I will be doing it over thanksgiving while im in Ohio sorry. But I will try to take pics and do a write up of my own.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

It's the 8-disc mod....yay. There's at least two guys here who have done that....Tom and I....and possibly some others, but I can't remember who.

If you want loads of extra fun, buy an 'S' spring for a F150 4x4....and try to install THAT one....

Comment

I did one in a 9.75" rear not long ago. Simple and easy. But that didn't use an s spring, it used some conical springs behind the clutches (which were a bitch until we figured out how to compress them). But you don't have to deal with those.

Measure your old steels and frictions to see how bad they are.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  It's the 8-disc mod....yay. There's at least two guys here who have done that....Tom and I....and possibly some others, but I can't remember who.

If you want loads of extra fun, buy an 'S' spring for a F150 4x4....and try to install THAT one....
                  My car has the 8 disc, works much better than whatever previous instructions we used. It was originally rebuilt with the 6, but shimmed according to some BS directions and using the F150 spring. It clunked and banged and generally sucked. 8 frictions and the standard spring, plus shimming it so it actually fit together without having to beat the ever loving crap out of the side gears to make them go in position made things much better.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So this is the gear kit im using http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-4209D-K
                    Any other bearings or seals I should replace while im in there ?
                    Also recommended break in period on the new gears before I beat on it?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to do the outer axle bearings and seals, but you'd be best to wait on buying that stuff until you get the axle shafts out and see what sort of condition they're in. If they're worn out, you'll need to either get new shafts or use repair bearings.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Well the car only has 70k on it fwiw, think the axles could be worn?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

At that mileage, probably not, but it would still be wise to check before you buy parts so that you don't accidentally end up with stuff you can't use. You'll be able to tell as soon as you get the axle shafts out.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

So will there just be a ridge worn in were the bearing rides or what? Sorry for the stupid question but I don't think I have ever seen a worn axle, and if I have I didn't realize it lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

you'll see a groove worn into the axles, or pitting where the bearing rides if they're shot. Pitting makes noise, the groove makes for lots of slop and noise. You'll see it right near the end where the flange is.

Comment

Working...
                              X