The automatic parking brake release thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The automatic parking brake release thread

Having this feature on the p72 and enjoying it enough in the '91 made me want to fix this on the p72...

The first pic is pretty much all the parts involved - I pulled them all because I was hoping I could also install this in the 85... but the whole parking brake pedal assembly is different.
    You have the white crescent vacuum slider (the part that usually goes bad) which is dialed by a little lever/pin that clamps onto the selector shaft behind it.
    The black hose supplies vacuum from the vacuum tree on the other side of the firewall, and the white hose applies vacuum to the release diaphragm which is attached to the park lever assembly.

The typical 'solution' to the crescent moon plastic piece leaking vacuum (the usual cause of non-function) is to pull the black hose and plug it.
    Or, you can replace it if you can find a good one Just a fair warning, the tiny upper bolt holding it on is hard to get out, and VERY hard to get back in.
    Its a good test of cramped finger dexterity
    Attached Files
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

I'm surprised your 85 didn't come with it. I was under the impression it was a standard feature.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 81' I had didn't have it either.
      Of course it didn't have a lot of things....
      No A/C, power windows, or locks, no (factory) tape deck.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I think my 85 started life as a base model if it makes a difference... its got base door panels with the 'dealer added' power locks and windows.
        It's got tilt wheel, ATC, originally one power seat and cruise control, but no automatic headlights or brake release.
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

please tell me step by step on how to remove the crescent moon thing. going to the junkyard tomorrow for some. would like to know step by step.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

It sounds easier than it is - after you unplug the two vacuum hoses, its just two small bolts holding it in place. The top bolts is a bear to get to, and its one of those weird tiny bolt sizes. You'll need to have a good 1/4 socket set with lots of small ones to get the right size. Try to find one in the lowest mileage car possible, they are usually all bad.
            sigpic

Comment

then it should pop off right. also are they all the same from 1979-1991

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

it's the ford OEM size... 7/32 IIRC. If it's not that... it's 3/16 or 1/4. replaced that on my 88 and yeah... those screws are a PITA to get at. I ended up using my snake driver to get at them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  it's the ford OEM size... 7/32 IIRC. If it's not that... it's 3/16 or 1/4. replaced that on my 88 and yeah... those screws are a PITA to get at. I ended up using my snake driver to get at them.
                  I would have expected something like 6mm or 7mm, as Panther chassis parts have a tendency to be all metric.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                    then it should pop off right. also are they all the same from 1979-1991
                    Id guess they are the same, possibly aero ones might work too. If you pull one out and compare, the info would be great!
                    Im pretty sure they are the same at least up to '89, but the steering columns changed in '90 so the selector shaft (and things attached to it) may have changed too.

*edit*
                    I see an E4 part number on the one in the pic, that means 84-89 should be the same for sure. Don't forget to check the towncars too!
                    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I want to say the stuff on 90+ is different. The shifter setup is totally different on those, and I could swear from the 0.3 seconds I spent looking underneath of one that the release thing is differently shaped.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I want to say the stuff on 90+ is different. The shifter setup is totally different on those, and I could swear from the 0.3 seconds I spent looking underneath of one that the release thing is differently shaped.
                        It is, my 91 doesn't have anything remotely similar to the half-moon thing.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          I would have expected something like 6mm or 7mm, as Panther chassis parts have a tendency to be all metric.
                          might be... my socket set is a wall-grabber set that fits both SAE and metric.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Nifty. What brand do you have?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

"As seen on TV"

Metwrinch

Comment

Working...
                              X