not. again. :o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not. again. :o

Another car totalled. Three accidents since June of last year.

1. My silver Mercury was totalled at the mechanic's after I got all new set of KYB G2/Gas-A-Just installed. Never got to drive it.

2. Brake line blew on my '88 Country Squire and I wound up rearending one of my Nephew's teachers (not badly. Broke my headerpanel & grille, just gotta replace those). Weather got cold before I got to the brake line (plus I'm lazy).

3. My '94, with 108,698 miles, air ride suspension. Replaced all the dash lights with LEDs, and the taillights.

Guy backed a Dodge Caravan out of his driveway, across a lane, right in front of me.

I tried to swerve, but ended up hitting him, taking out his passenger bumper corner and taillight, but it also took out my turn signal/cornering lamp, fender, hood, driver door, trim on rear Driverside Door, and dented and scraped the rear quarterpanel.

Pics now.

Quarter Panel

Estimate from local Body Shop: $5932.66

NADA: $2525

Nobody was hurt, and it was the other driver's fault. The guy was very apologetic, and called the police. Cops came out quickly, and I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company on an offer or whatever they are going to say after I had the estimate faxed in.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

That sucks, I hope I don't have that kind of luck when I start driving my panthers.. Luckily they're tanks right? Hah Glad you're okay though!
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

Comment

damn dude, luck is not on the side of your cars. At least nobody has been hurt in any of those accidents.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

5k? they are insane... Personally id keep it, and fix it with parts from the junkyard.

Glad you werent hurt.

Comment

I cant see any pictures but I do know body work is expensive...From what you described though it sounds like you got a low estimate. Sucks dude.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The insurance company will probably just buy the car off you for what its worth.

Comment

not again mang. sucks to hear about the car. atleast no one was hurt

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The pics were showing up, I'll try this again...

100_1176 by SexCpotatoes, on Flickr

100_1172 by SexCpotatoes, on Flickr

Yeah, it's definitely over double the total book value to even think about repairing it. The alignment is all screwed now too, I don't think they included that in the estimate either.

This one was a replacement for the first car that got totalled. Now I have to look for a used car at THE worst time of the year: Tax Return Season. Yay, everything's price is inflated by $1000 or more.
                Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Maybe you need a tank as a vehicle.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                    This one was a replacement for the first car that got totalled. Now I have to look for a used car at THE worst time of the year: Tax Return Season. Yay, everything's price is inflated by $1000 or more.
                    Really? I'd never heard of that.

From the pics, I'd consider taking the insurance payoff minus the $100 for scrap value, tossing a fender and a door on it, realigning the suspension, and keep driving it. Cheaper and easier than shopping for another car. But then, that's if it were mine, which it isn't.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

From the pics, I'd consider taking the insurance payoff minus the $100 for scrap value, tossing a fender and a door on it, realigning the suspension, and keep driving it. Cheaper and easier than shopping for another car. But then, that's if it were mine, which it isn't.
                      I would have to agree with mikey cheaper. Then buyig another. Car. Plus those aeros are plentiful in the. Yards

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Sorry about your luck!!

3. My '94...Replaced all the dash lights with LEDs
                        How did this turn out? what type of LEDs did you use??
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          I've been spoiled. My dad worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer for 32 years before he finally retired. I used to have access to a never-ending stream of decent trade-ins and auction cars--cheap.

How cheap? Try a 1991 LTD Crown Vic LX with a heated windshield and only 87k mi (6 or 7 years ago) for only $1500 out the door. KBB value on that when I looked it up: $4000.

So yeah, I automatically see cars in terms of their auction price, not dealer, or private party value. And around tax return season, cars get stupid expensive at the auction. Some dealers will even buy up cars before tax return season, then take them back to the auction to turn a profit if they haven't sold them already.

85CrownHPP: I bought the LEDs off ebay, from a seller I had bought tail, turnsignal, & a bunch of cluster LEDs for in the doors and such off of. I think I found him thru a link or another forum member's suggestion on here. http://stores.ebay.com/warden-jp2002...9&_sc=1&_sop=1 There's a link.

I bought the 1 LED size and color coded from another seller (the bases were colored the color they shine). The illumination was great at night, but washed out horribly during the day. I drove around with my O/D off one day because I forgot how many times I pushed it and the bright light washed out the instrument lights entirely, it got dark enough to see the dash light was how I figured out. So yeah, don't count on noticing that Check Engine light if it's sunny out.

The clusters won't fit in the dash slots, of course, but the taillights rock. I had the LEDs previously in the silver car (with a sequential turn signal kit). When it got totalled I cut it out, then decided to just replace the lamps and not hack into the wiring on this car.

I still have the sequential turn signal kit around here. I should probably put it up for sale.

Thanks for all the suggestions to keep it, but I probably won't. The door hinges are tweaked, and even if I got all the parts cheap it would take me so long to actually put them on myself (or cost so much to have a pro do it) that I really wouldn't come out ahead.

Yeah, I'd possibly have some money left from the insurance cheque, but I don't have much in the car. I bought it from my brother in July and put $600 in it to replace the rotors and fix the A/C. I have $1200 in the car plus normal maintenance. The insurance company will pay me I don't know how much, and I'm looking through the forums on here wondering which members still have cars for sale. I'm kinda interested in a certain '99 someone posted, but don't know if he still has it.

Comment

So yeah, I automatically see cars in terms of their auction price, not dealer, or private party value. And around tax return season, cars get stupid expensive at the auction. Some dealers will even buy up cars before tax return season, then take them back to the auction to turn a profit if they haven't sold them already.
                            Wow. Funky. I had absolutely no idea. Convenient for you that you've been able to get by with not paying the markup, though.

Is that at all related to why often a dealer with a stupid-high price on a car acts like you're committing high treason by suggesting they sell it to you for a more normal-sounding price?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

That's probably more due to the fact that every dollar the price goes down is another dollar 'out of their pocket'
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X