Looking for Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Headers

I am looing for a set of headers for my 84 Town Car. I have come across a couple that I think might work. One is Hedman 88380. The other is Hedman 89500.
    If you have put headers on your panther, what did you use. How tight of a fit was it?

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...xhaust-Options

If you get Mustang shorty headers, you need to either modify the flanges on your factory down pipes, or run a Mustang H pipe (which requires further mods)

Pretty much all aftermarket (And factory) Mustang shorties will work (don't waste your time with equal length ones). The second option you posted won't work. No long tubes (that are know of anyways) fit, and mid length require extensive modification.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Has anyone here used the Mustang shorties before? If so, what have you done with the O2 sensors, as they normally belong in the iron manifold but the headers don't have bungs for the sensors to screw into. I have a set of Mustang shorties that I want to put on this year, and was thinking I had to move the O2 sensors downstream into the downpipes by installing bungs into the pipes. A little advice would be great on this one!
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And after reading pantera's write up, my question has been answered. I see those Mustang headers have bungs for O2 sensors...weird.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those must be 94-95 SN 5.0 mustang headers, and that is a bung for the EGR tubing you are looking at.

The O2 sensors are in the downpipe, and you do either have to use the mustang H-pipe (it is the downpipes also) or have your downpipes modified and a bung welded in.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Wow, I never noticed I had used those pictures before. Those were on my 87 when I bought it, the previous owner had welded the 02 bungs on. Mustang H pipes have the o2 bungs on them, so you need to either extend your stock pigtails on your 02 sensors, or buy sensors for a Mustang which have the longer pigtail. The 87 had a completely custom down pipe made with no o2 bungs in it. When I upgraded it from factory Mustang Headers to aftermarket Mustang headers I just simply welded some 02 bungs in the collector of the header, as it was simply easier.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I have another question. I have been busy with it lately doing a cfi to carb swap. I noticed on the throttle body, there are two fuel lines going to it. Is one of them a return line?

Comment

Yes.... did it on my 84 years ago. Ran stang exhaust parts

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

What kind of intake, and carb did you use? Did you use the oem fuel pump or something els

Comment

i used bbk shorty 1515 headers with a mustang offroad pipe that i hacked the H out of becuase it didnt fit, , the down pipes i made from that already had o2 sensor bungs in it. i extended the wires for the o2 sensors and had at it.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i picked up a set of mustang shortys off ebay for 60 to my door. then did my own custom duals out the sides. didnt use teh o2 sensor because prev. owner carbed my Merc with a bronco refurb 2bbl

i had the CFI so it was a simple swap
                      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

i used fox body mustang shorty headers off road h pipe no cats O2 sensors in h pipe.

Comment

I got the header. The ones from the first part number that I gave fit perfectly. I am fitting them up with a dual 2 1/2" exauhst, and Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers.

Comment

I extended the O2 sensor harness to reach the bungs on the mustang H-pipe. Not too bad. If I were to build an engine that makes some steam, then I would think about getting the Anderson Ford Racing shorties with the 1-3/4" primaries and bend some mid pipes for them; or build a set of longtubes.

Packman

Comment

Does anyone one here have modded longtubes on their box?
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X