Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hella brights linger on when off - relay question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hella brights linger on when off - relay question(s)

Hey guys, I've upgraded to Hella low and high beams over my HID low beams and stock high beams. I ripped all my HID shit out, but I think my friend who installed the HID's switched the two low beam wires around (red/green, black stays the same I assume). If you're looking at the connection from the drivers seat, which wires should be in which terminal? (I think my green is on the left, red on top, black on right) Or if someone could just take a picture of they're stock passenger side low beam that would great.

I'm also having a very hard time adjusting the headlights themselves. How do you guys with Hella's do it? The rubber boot that goes over the back is a bit bigger than the stock one so they don't sit all the way back in the headlight frame like the stock ones do. Is there any way around this?

Another problem I've come across is since I installed my Hella low beams last night, my brights linger on when I don't have them on. My bright signal on my dash emits a low glow as well as the headlights. I already checked and my headlight tab in the cab isn't turned to far one way or another, it has something to do with installing the low beams.

I'm also planning on installing headlight relays soon. Is this the kind of relay that would work - http://www.delcity.net/store/Normall...tacts/p_791795

Also my spade connectors are not looking very good. Are these the kind that will work - http://www.delcity.net/store/Non!ins...inals/p_802000
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

I've heard you have to open up the holes in the headlight buckets to accommodate the huge rubbers on them. Also, having previously installed HID and other super-aftermarket bulbs with no relays, I'd guess your headlight switch and/or connector is fried.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

+1 the headlight switch connector is probably toasty.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Will those parts work for the relay mod?
        1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Those relays are the right type (the common type) - buy three and use the third one for fog lights (if you have or plan to get them). That way you can use the SPDT function to turn off the fogs when you hit the high beams.
          Those relays are rated for 30 amps, so only use them if two of your aftermarket headlights together draw less than 30 amps. They should work fine...
          If your headlights are not rated in amps, you can calculate it with ohm's law. Divide the wattage rating of the bulbs by 15 volts, and that's your amps rating per bulb.

What spade terminals are you looking to replace? The ones inside your headlight connectors? If so, just buy new headlight connectors. Make sure you know what gauge wire they use, or what amperage they are rated for, or they may not be up for the job.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

divide by 12 to allow safe margin of error.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

yup, I forgot it worked the 'other' way
              sigpic

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the responses..

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                Those relays are the right type (the common type) - buy three and use the third one for fog lights (if you have or plan to get them). That way you can use the SPDT function to turn off the fogs when you hit the high beams.
                Those relays are rated for 30 amps, so only use them if two of your aftermarket headlights together draw less than 30 amps. They should work fine...
                If your headlights are not rated in amps, you can calculate it with ohm's law. Divide the wattage rating of the bulbs by 15 volts, and that's your amps rating per bulb.

What spade terminals are you looking to replace? The ones inside your headlight connectors? If so, just buy new headlight connectors. Make sure you know what gauge wire they use, or what amperage they are rated for, or they may not be up for the job.
                Awesome that's what I needed to know. I don't have fog lights and wasn't planning on getting some soon, but its always something I've wanted. Just not sure where they get mounted. Its not something I've looked into yet.

The spade terminals I'm looking to replace are the ones that connect to the headlights which no longer stay in the plastic connector and are getting old. Its suggested to replace them in the how-to relay thread here - http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...version-how-to
                I was just wondering if those are the correct spade terminals. I suppose I could just get insulated terminals like this - http://www.delcity.net/store/Clear-N...inals/p_801990
                and do away with the plastic connector which is pretty much just plain useless at this point.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                I've heard you have to open up the holes in the headlight buckets to accommodate the huge rubbers on them. Also, having previously installed HID and other super-aftermarket bulbs with no relays, I'd guess your headlight switch and/or connector is fried.
                Could I just simply remove the rubber boots? Opening up those holes sounds like a real hassle and I'm not sure how it would be done.. dremmel maybe? I would agree the HID messed up the headlight switch, not because they're HID's but more so because the bright/low beam connection was switched. In the event I do this relay mod, will I still need to replace my headlight switch?

Comment

possibly the connector at least. You'll definitely have to pull it and take a look. If it's all crispy... you'll have fun with wiring.

Comment

Working...
                  X