Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unobtanium parts? '86 GM auto park brake release valve (vacuum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unobtanium parts? '86 GM auto park brake release valve (vacuum)

I'm thinking I'll probably have to cut this one open and install some spring that I'll have to dig out of my parts bin ..... but, does anyone know where I can find one of these?

Junkyards are out - there's not a single vehicle in my local ones built before '96.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

No chance of a part number on there, is there?? I didn't see one.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I got the last one that was in the dealer network about 4 years ago and it died in 6 months. you'll have to unbent the seam in the middle to open it and re-seal the rubber diaphragm in it to have any luck getting it to work again. Finding a working one in a yard will probably turn out just as good as finding a new old stock one. The rubber is old and bound to break.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My old one actually RUSTED, got a pin hole in it and stopped working, strange because as Sly says, usually it's the rubber that goes. I found one in the junkyard 2-3 years ago and it's worked well. I imagine you could buy a vacuum actuator for a newer vehicle that served a different purpose and modify it to work, if you really wanted to.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          ... I imagine you could buy a vacuum actuator for a newer vehicle that served a different purpose and modify it to work, if you really wanted to.
          I would suggest seeing how much that particular part had changed over the years and seeing if a newer one could be made to work with some persuasion. If that doesn't work, then ya, find something else that might work.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I just capped the line coming through the firewall. Though I can see why older panthers would want it since the brake release lever was a knuckle breaker little flip switch instead of that nice handle in later models.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I lit the car on fire and melted that line off. I guess I must have removed it from the vacuum tree and capped it at some point, but I really don't remember for sure. There is no vacuum into the car for that stuff. The valve had failed anyway and the line was plugged off before the thing lit off.

you can convert from the knuckle-buster if you steal some later 80s parts. I think its just the handle and the support bracket that you need. or learn where the manual release is so you can pop it with the toe of your shoe.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OOooohh! I think I have one leftover from when I tried to convert the 85... unless I already passed it on.

I'll check the stash - if you don't hear back from me in a day, I forgot, so bump this thread 'till I look!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you can't find this part, isit possible to use a newer generation panther brake release and make it work??? just curious here
                  "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                  -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Newer generation? They got rid of that feature towards the end of the 90s. And the steering columns are completely different at that.

You may be able to get away with using a heater box valve.

Comment

So you're saying you could use a 90's version in a box? (earliy to mid nineties)
                      Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Newer generation? They got rid of that feature towards the end of the 90s. And the steering columns are completely different at that.

"To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yeah. I think that's what phil put in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

I have that feature on my 2000 MGM. The valve is right at the brake release beside the door with just a vacuum line going to it. I couldn't find any images on the internet, but I just had a look-see. It's an all-plastic valve that seems to have an integral mount. Instead of a metal rod, it has a flattened piece of metal. I had to mess around with it some years ago. I had a cable issue, and the metal part managed to become disconnected. I didn't see any way of reconnecting it apart from bending something out and bending it back.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah i think it was an aero town car... could have been a later box though, i forget, i do know it was slightly different than my original one, like you have pictured, but it still worked
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I have a guy on eBay that scours his local junk yards as a hobby and will fill requests if possible. I can email him for you and find out what he would want for that part. Just let me know if you would like me to contact him for you and we can go from there. You can PM me if you can't get a hold of me here.

I've used this guy to find many strange parts for my '91 MGM and he has always been able to find what I need and always at very reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X