Odometer repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer repair?

So I got a 140mph cluster I need to put new gears in before I put it in the car. Also need to set the mileage on it. Anybody have a write-up or link to this how-to? Tried to search but it just stalls out on me every time. Thanks y'all.

It's super easy, just pull the cluster apart and have at it. Do all four or you'll be in there again.

http://www.odometergears.com/product...oria+90-97/101

Here's some pictures, but I never made a write up.
    http://s73.photobucket.com/user/77pa...?sort=3&page=1
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

To change the mileage...
      http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=45192

Different car but same principle.

Comment

When you're setting the worm gear, don't push it flush against the motor. Give a little gap to ensure smooth operation. When I redid mine, it was chattering because of improper spacing.

You can also upgrade to a 6 digit odometer from a '93-'94 Grand Marquis if you want to.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

odometergears.com are good, but they don't give anything away.
          I get all my odo gears from www.LaSpeedometerGear.com, (318- 208- 4184), same gears as the other guy but a lot more reasonable on his prices.
          Last edited by mcninetyone; 03-09-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
            odometergears.com are good, but they don't give anything away.
            I get all my odo gears from www.LaSpeedometerGear.com, (318- 208- 4184), same gears as the other guy but a lot more reasonable on his prices.
            Damn, half the price, that's the way to go!
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thank you all for posting this - I need to do the same to the 90.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                When you're setting the worm gear, don't push it flush against the motor. Give a little gap to ensure smooth operation. When I redid mine, it was chattering because of improper spacing.

You can also upgrade to a 6 digit odometer from a '93-'94 Grand Marquis if you want to.
                +1 on all of what K Wolf said.

You don't want clicking noises and might as well upgrade to the 6 digit odo while you're in there since it is a direct/no modification required swap.
                Also if you find a 6 digit odo at a JY you'll gain experience taking apart one of these clusters.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  ...Also if you find a 6 digit odo at a JY you'll gain experience taking apart one of these clusters.
                  This. It's nice to learn on/break stuff at a junkyard then on your own car.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Damn it, now I have to make a JY trip too? Lol. Thanks for the tips guys, I bought both sets of gears a while ago, was just waiting 'til I got a 140 cluster to put 'em in. Now I have but was afraid to fuck it up taking it apart. Do I have to do that calibration shit and take the needle off? That looks like a ballache. The rest seems straightforward enough I suppose. I don't work any Saturdays this month so I may be able to make a yard trip, just have a lot of shit vying for my time these days.

Comment

For '90-'94 MGM and '90-'91 CV/TC clusters there is no need to remove the needle and no need to worry about all that calibration stuff that is in that TRS thread.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The only time you should need to take the needle off is if the stepper motor fails. Mine used to have the needle stick if the lights were on. Something from the heat of the back lights would cause it. I just used a motor from a '94 Grand Marquis and swapped the original circuit board onto it since the circuit board controls the calibration for the type of speedometer (85 MPH vs 140 MPH).

I've torn apart so many of these clusters to rebuild mine to fully functional status, I've got most of the weird year to year changes figured out.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Just want to verify:
                          On http://www.laspeedometergear.com/Odo...rd%20Dodge.htm we need the second kit for our cars (same as 94-98 mustang), and we need two kits (four gears total) if we have the trip odometer?
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

www.laspeedometergear.com has gears for all speedo's and trips. 90/91 gears are totally different from 92 and up on CV's.
                            I've repaired both, the problem with most 92 and up CV speedo's and trip's can be repaired with a gear that fits many dodge's.
                            It's easy!!!! and you don't have to remove the speedo needle.
                            90/91 clusters are more work.

Comment

The first one is for the 92+ CV and 93+ MGM. I have no clue what the others use as I haven't needed to repair any so far.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X