PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 GM Restore and Build

Land Yacht Fundamentalist Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Give you credit for taking on something that's been neglected, and a good thing you got to her when you did. From what you describe it was one of those cars that was just parked in a field or under a tree for a while. That's where problems begin, and where cars' lives get cut short. Will say that trunk floor from '98 to at least '02 should interchange. Maybe '03-'11 will fit, and maybe some pre '98 stuff will work, though you'd want to bring measuring tools to confirm first. How and where did the roof rust? I don't see a vinyl top in the pictures, so unless it had a ton of plants and leaves, or some scrapes that exposed bare metal, I don't see how or where it could've started.

I may have saved the trunk floor. time will tell. The paint just started flaking on the roof. a strong thunderstorm and it would lose paint and then the rust would begin.

Land Yacht Fundamentalist Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Good thing, because that's not a fun piece to replace from what I've been told. Will be going through with that with Eva next year at some point. And ah yeah, the peeling clearcoat phenomenon, forgot about that on the later cars. Least the roof is an easy area to get to for corrective work!

YEAH i will say a prayer for you on that floor lol There is a local paint shop that offers a complete sand down and repaint for $399.99 plus tax. It is acrylic paint and comes with a one year warranty. What do yall think?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Mercury View Post
    YEAH i will say a prayer for you on that floor lol There is a local paint shop that offers a complete sand down and repaint for $399.99 plus tax. It is acrylic paint and comes with a one year warranty. What do yall think?
    Cheap paint looks cruddy and makes it worse down the road because it has to come off at some point to make things right. I would stay away. May check with them to see what other options they have in terms of paint types.

please keep in mind i know absolutely nothing about paint. they offer a two base plus clear coat or something for $1,199.00

Acrylic paint is similar to what was used back in the 70s and 80s IIRC and if you got a dent, would chip off around that dent. Two base plus clear would be better. Sanded and prepped, primed, smoothed, primed, 4-6 base coats and 4 clear coats would be even better, but that would also be rather spendy. Obviously, if you plan on keeping the car forever, the latter would be preferred. If you're planning to sell it in short order, the cheap "Good from far, far from good" job would work. If you plan on keeping it for a good while, go for the 2 base + clear. If you just can't budget a really good job, go for the 2 base + clear if you can.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

yeah i do plan on keeping it so i will fit that in later down the road. did this over the weekend too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight replacement.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	733.0 KB 
ID:	50967

clear headlights make a big difference.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

well, financial set back number 1.. My daily is a prius and the battery failed.

Name:	Prius Battery.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	51013

Bah.

Well Hello my fellow Panthers.

Life update:
    After buying and having a prius battery installed and the trans completely failing on my GM, I decided to marry my girlfriend and buy a house. Now that we are happily married and moved in and the holidays are over with, it is now time to get back at it.

Now some transmission advice please. I am looking at Monster 4r70w models but they are over $1,000 and say they only hold 460hp. Why should I go with that over a stock with j-mod and a converter?

Most recent picture of the car a few days ago.

Name:	Poor Merc.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	53304

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Congratulations on getting married!

I would lean towards getting a stock rebuild unless you have some serious mods planned for that MGM. But I will let the more knowledgeable members point you in the direction you should go. This looks like a nice project.

Hey Thanks!

The plan is to be 350-400 crank hp through the next year. Trans, gear and nitrous with my MZT (tuned) will be done in the next 90 days and then just slowly add/replace from there as things break or need improving.

If someone else has other info, please share, but from what I have found, the stock remans are more expensive than 450 hp rated built transmissions from like JEGS or Monster.

Found these two. They both have under 140k on the odometer and the magnets have no shavings. $139.00 with my core turn in. Could J-mod one of these and ride that for a while huh?

Name:	Merc Trans.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	53326

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

I'd grab one of those used ones, J-mod it and run the shit out of it.

You'll need boost to have 400hp crank.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 186k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 61k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 193k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Now that's whats up!

I'm going for it. Is there a difference in the 99 or 01 trans? just go with the lower mileage one?

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

I know they changed the valve body in '01. That was also the year the engines changed from NPI to PI. I'm guessing that if the '01 could be made to work, it would be too big of a PITA. Here's a link with a couple of links to tranny difference info:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...colns-Mercurys

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

They're plug and play.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 186k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 61k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 193k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Perfect. Thank you. I wanted to go yesterday but could not get anyone to help me so now I have to wait till this coming Sunday.

Attempted to pull a trans out of the you-pull-it yard yesterday. Jacks and jack stands are not allowed. No way to jack the transmission up and the trans cross-member bolt on the passenger side hits the bottom of the car and cannot be removed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast