My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Some come out with no problem others don't. I've broken a few impact T50 bits within the past couple years on 2 cars using a 1/2 breaker bar and dad's old pneumatic impact. (Sunex bits, time to find another brand, open to suggestions, but these were cheap on Ebay, LOL). This was after applying Liquid Wrench top and bottom months in advance and then again the day before and day of the next attempt. I even hammered on that bolt like Derek mentioned.
    Next step when it gets warm again (and after I buy a few more impact T50s) is to get the fire wrench out. All to replace the C-pillar interior panel in the Scab. (3-point belt goes through the panel and has to be unbolted from the floor). I even broke a bit on the same bolt on the JY donor car. For some reason the P-side came out of both cars with no issue, but D-side on the JY '90 and my '91 didn't and aren't budging.
    Wow! Sounds like you did all the proper steps so as Dave said, the first time is the most difficult. Good idea about putting anti seize on the threads before re installing them!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I found someone with Snap-On impacts from 1/2” to 1” and impact torx sockets. I don’t know when I’ll get the chance to mess with it but that should get them out.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I have one frozen bolt in one of the Lincolns. I ended out stripping the bolt even with the proper tools. Don't know what I will do except leave it alone. All the others through the years have come out pretty easy. I do have extra bolts if you need one.

Comment

The Napa tool line did well for me on the torx bits. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHTS...pressionRank=5
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
            Thanks for all the tips guys. I found someone with Snap-On impacts from 1/2” to 1” and impact torx sockets. I don’t know when I’ll get the chance to mess with it but that should get them out.
            Hopefully, since the car seems to have been cared for, you won't have much issue. Even the easy ones take a good amount of force though.
            I also put anti-sieze on the bolts I re-install like others mentioned because I know how bad they can get. Doing this should help the job to not suck as bad if there is a next time.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yah, as Vic said, the ole blue wrench is a good alternative. Good bye paint though.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Due to weather and laziness it had been two weeks plus since I had started the Lincoln. So last night when it was 19 degrees I decided to go out to the garage and let it warm up. Headlights were still closed fully and it started right up. I’m having really good luck with EEC-III CFI so far. “Knock on wood.”
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised the headlights were still closed. I think Ford states "acceptable" as three days or something silly like that. Wait until it's like 5 degrees, everything loves when it's that cold.

I started my '88 last week, I think it was 20 degrees or so. It fired up but idled really low. I decided to see if it would correct itself, but after 8 seconds or so, the idle went lower and it died. Fired it back up and gave it a stab of the go-go juice. Drove it all day. Nice car.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Wow, I'm surprised the headlights were still closed. I think Ford states "acceptable" as three days or something silly like that. Wait until it's like 5 degrees, everything loves when it's that cold.

I started my '88 last week, I think it was 20 degrees or so. It fired up but idled really low. I decided to see if it would correct itself, but after 8 seconds or so, the idle went lower and it died. Fired it back up and gave it a stab of the go-go juice. Drove it all day. Nice car.
                    Luckily the choke and choke pull off on the Lincoln still work properly it just needs a little more fine tuning. I don’t think the throttle kicker is functioning but it doesn’t seem to matter. Someone either here or on another forum told me the service manual says if the headlights stay shut for 24 hours it’s acceptable. That same person claimed there’s would stay shut for at least 6 months. And no they aren’t stuck I made sure they were working.

My ‘88 MGM had occasional idle issues for the 4 years I owned it. No amount of messing with the IAC or TPS seemed to help. But it always seemed to run better the colder the weather was, go figure.
                    Last edited by mercurygm88; 01-21-2022, 02:13 PM.

​

Comment

Acceptable was listed as like 8 or 12 hours on the 82 I had. After I fixed a few joints and replaces a couple bits of hose, those would stay down a day or 2. Would probably have to replace all the rubber hose with vinyl vacuum hose to really get a good seal on the system.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I finally got around to getting the seat belt bolts out and re hanging the rear seat. A good electric impact and impact torx did the trick.

Now a new issue arises. I went to set the clock tonight and clumsy me pulled the knob right out of the dash with my big ol sasquatch hands. Does anyone know if there’s a way to fix this short of finding another cluster? The clock still works it’s just an hour off.

Also I recently started hanging out with a guy who has an engine shop in the family. His grandfather has been running the place since 1961 and he has a dozen of everything. I think we’re going to build a decent 351 for the Mark VI.

​

Comment

probably have to take the clock apart. I've never done it, but I'm sure its possible. Mine is really stiff to turn, so I may be pulling mine apart to lube it at some point. If I do that before you figure it out I'll let you know how it goes together. I expect its a retaining ring holding the shaft in place though, and probably yours fell off.

The three pieces of the cluster can be replaced individually if needed. Just have to take the face of the cluster off, then you can see the pieces. I think its 2 or 3 screws on the back to secure each part of the cluster into the main housing.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            probably have to take the clock apart. I've never done it, but I'm sure its possible. Mine is really stiff to turn, so I may be pulling mine apart to lube it at some point. If I do that before you figure it out I'll let you know how it goes together. I expect its a retaining ring holding the shaft in place though, and probably yours fell off.

The three pieces of the cluster can be replaced individually if needed. Just have to take the face of the cluster off, then you can see the pieces. I think its 2 or 3 screws on the back to secure each part of the cluster into the main housing.
                            I figured it was something along those lines. It was really stiff when I set it last time change. I’m going to let it go for the time being. Last time I had the cluster out it was only halfway out because I didn’t want to mess with the gear indicator. That was enough of pain that I’m not looking forward to doing it again.

​

Comment

Did the stem with the crown pull out or just the crown come off ? If just the crown, it might screw on or is pressed on. Epoxy may work if it is pressed on. If the stem came out with the crown, I would have to see the end. Sometimes if it is like a watch, it can be pushed back in.

Comment

Perhaps some really close up photos may assist in a diagnosis. Is it possible to find another clock? Haven't looked on EBAY but there or another site that deals in junk cars/parts may help.
                                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
                                X