PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

If the switch for the door lights is the same as what I'm used to it should be adjustable. If the door itself looks lined up right, then adjusting the switch out one click might be all you need to do.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    If the switch for the door lights is the same as what I'm used to it should be adjustable. If the door itself looks lined up right, then adjusting the switch out one click might be all you need to do.
    Yeah the doors are lined up perfectly. I donít know if these had the same striker bushings as later boxes but if so theyíre all gone. None of the doors rattle but they have a little give. Could be due to the fact that they need new weather stripping.

I still canít find a light socket in the glove box but there sure seems to be a switch. Thereís some hacked up wiring under the dash and the dip stick who put the after market radio in hack installed it without a wiring harness adapter so it has constant power!

I have to pop the faceplate off to get the lights to go out, itís aggravating when people do dumb shit like that. They also left out half the screws for the dash trim so I had to replace those.

They also mangled the tracks for the ash tray. I donít smoke so Iím just going to wire in a cigarette lighter/usb combo so I can at least charge my phone. Thereís a spot under there it should fit nicely.

Itís all little dumb shit but I like to get things fixed and done with, and itís 80 degrees and humid here at night so itís all aggravating me a bit more than it should.

No luck on the brake light yet. The parking brake pedal is all the way up. I havenít looked at the wiring to the proportioning valve. Wiring and I donít get along so well.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yeah its the same bushings as all the rest of the boxes.

Push the little tabs in at the corners of the glove box and flip it all the way out. Should be able to see whats going on in there at that point. I seem to remember the bulb lives right near the little button that turns it on.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    yeah its the same bushings as all the rest of the boxes.

Push the little tabs in at the corners of the glove box and flip it all the way out. Should be able to see whats going on in there at that point. I seem to remember the bulb lives right near the little button that turns it on.
    Iíll have to grab some of those bushings. I had the box flipped down and still couldnít find the bulb. The wires run from the switch back down somewhere behind the dash.

I did manage to get a cigarette lighter socket wired in so I can at least charge my phone. Then I found out the aftermarket head units USB ports not only functions as a charging port but also as an aux port. I figured it was only an audio in if I used a flash drive. Shows what I know.

you're going to make me go open mine up aren't you? I'm picturing the bulb plugging literally into the back of that switch. The only wires feeding in are the power wires. I think there might be a little plastic hood or something over it but I really don't remember for sure. Not impossible 83 is slightly different though.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

you're going to make me go open mine up aren't you? I'm picturing the bulb plugging literally into the back of that switch. The only wires feeding in are the power wires. I think there might be a little plastic hood or something over it but I really don't remember for sure. Not impossible 83 is slightly different though.
    It may be right in the back of the switch that would explain how I missed it. Iíll look again tonight when I do the door striker bushings.

I was really surprised to find lights under the seats. Is that a Mark VI specific feature? Or do box Town Cars have those too?
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 06-30-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Box TCs have them too. Mine has two per seat, one forward and one back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    I guess Iíll have to crawl under there and see how many bulbs there are.

more upscale Towncars had it, cheapie base models did not. Wiring was there though. The lights under my Mark VI Signature seats plugged right in.

more upscale Towncars had it, cheapie base models did not. Wiring was there though. The lights under my Mark VI Signature seats plugged right in.
    There are in fact two lights under each seat and theyíre all working. I got the hood and glove box light going. Glove box was a 194 bulb directly behind the switch. I donít recall what finally fit in the under hood socket, 63 I think? It took several tries. I also got the door striker bushings on. As soon as I get that exhaust leak fixed I should be good for awhile.

Has anyone here ever changed the antenna motor on one of these? I have a NOS one coming. But I havenít really looked at how the old one is held in.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Beautiful Lincoln! That's gonna be a nice boulevard cruiser/show car.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    I guess I’ll have to crawl under there and see how many bulbs there are.
    Fun fact about those lights....the mounting points are present on cvs and grand marquis seat bottoms. The harnesses are not though. I installed them into my car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

There are a couple motors so make sure you have the right one. early vs late, 2 wire vs 3. There is some way of converting from one to the other but offhand I don't know what it is.

pop the trim piece off the outside. Under that you'll find a nut that holds it in place. Inside the trunk there is a bracket off the side of the motor that screws to a brace in the trunk. basically unplug stuff and remove the fasteners and it comes out. Not involved at all.

Whats actually wrong with it? The masts can be replaced, but again differences from early to late. If it doesn't operate, make sure the switch or relay is good. Not sure what the 83 used for that. My 84 Conti is auto up / auto down using this goofy relay that is triggered off the power wire for the premium sound amp. If that happens to be the case on the 83, and if they didn't hook up the trigger wires properly it won't run the antenna.

There are a couple motors so make sure you have the right one. early vs late, 2 wire vs 3. There is some way of converting from one to the other but offhand I don't know what it is.

pop the trim piece off the outside. Under that you'll find a nut that holds it in place. Inside the trunk there is a bracket off the side of the motor that screws to a brace in the trunk. basically unplug stuff and remove the fasteners and it comes out. Not involved at all.

Whats actually wrong with it? The masts can be replaced, but again differences from early to late. If it doesn't operate, make sure the switch or relay is good. Not sure what the 83 used for that. My 84 Conti is auto up / auto down using this goofy relay that is triggered off the power wire for the premium sound amp. If that happens to be the case on the 83, and if they didn't hook up the trigger wires properly it won't run the antenna.
    The one I ordered is the same part number and two wire like the one in the car. It uses a dash switch to the right of the climate controls. I have power going to the motor but it does nothing.

I post a lot...

so it has one power for up and one for down with a ground through the body?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    so it has one power for up and one for down with a ground through the body?
    I have no idea how it works. I donít normally mess with electrical stuff. It has a red wire and a light green wire.

I got the new power antenna installed and working today. That took all off maybe 20 minutes.

Now Iím just waiting on the little switch cover I ordered thatís missing.

Thats the "normal" one, 2 wires and it just reverses I think, same as a power window motor works. The other one is basically 2 motors in one physical package. ground through the mount, up or down depends which wire gets power. Its way too complicated for what it needs to do.

fomoco panthers !

If you don't have one already, get a factory Ford shop manual. It REALLY helps.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast