PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark VI ash tray issues

I think a couple leaf spring clips are missing on that. Not familiar with a working Mark ash tray, but there is usually significant friction from the springs pressing against the sliders, and they probably double as retainers to keep things from falling out. That C bracket with the janky holes in the side may be where these springs where originally affixed. Might even have an underbracket that is missing that screws to the bottom of the dash to hold things together. As you might now, the ashtray assembly in a box is held in place by three screws, which leads me to believe something may be missing.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

You have a castrated ash tray. There should be 4 balls in that slider assembly where the holes are blown out. Thats what sits in the grooves inside the dashboard. Thats also why it doesn't sit right or stay where it belongs. I think you may need a donor ash tray, that bracket looks pretty f'd up and it may not be possible to just put new balls in it. There are tabs that are supposed to capture the balls and it looks like yours have been bent or broken off.

The release is the tongue thing center top. Push it down and it slides right out of the hole. Putting it back in is slightly fussy but basically hold the tin slider thing towards the back with your finger and get it started, then the whole thing will just push right into the bracket with no real fuss.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    You have a castrated ash tray. There should be 4 balls in that slider assembly where the holes are blown out. Thats what sits in the grooves inside the dashboard. Thats also why it doesn't sit right or stay where it belongs. I think you may need a donor ash tray, that bracket looks pretty f'd up and it may not be possible to just put new balls in it. There are tabs that are supposed to capture the balls and it looks like yours have been bent or broken off.

The release is the tongue thing center top. Push it down and it slides right out of the hole. Putting it back in is slightly fussy but basically hold the tin slider thing towards the back with your finger and get it started, then the whole thing will just push right into the bracket with no real fuss.
    I see what youíre talking about with the 4 holes where the balls should be. Iíll have to get a couple of pics of the ash tray assembly and see if itís possible to see how bad the bracket actually is. If itís not totally shot maybe I can just find the correct size ball bearings to go in there?

Taking a closer look at the ash tray it doesn't really look like the tabs that hold the balls are bent. It looks like the balls just sit in there and you kind of have to hold them in place while sliding the tray back in. I'll upload a couple of pics later tonight I'm at work right now and don't have good enough signal to do so. I just replaced the lighter socket in the ash tray so I pretty much have the wiring issue sorted out.

they hold themsevles in place if the tabs are not bent out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_094116.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	57066

so long as the tabs aren't broken, you can probably find a couple of ball bearings at the hardware store and fix it.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

they hold themsevles in place if the tabs are not bent out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210926_094116.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	57066
    Gotcha, this is what I have. There's a local you-pull-it yard with an '84 TC and a '86 Crown Vic. I'm going to go check them out Tuesday when I'm off and see what I can find.

might have to tap them back over a bit to retain the balls, but it doesn't look as messed up as I thought it did in the video.

Crown Vic and grand marq use a different, less complicated setup.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Crown Vic and grand marq use a different, less complicated setup.
    Of course they do, if I knew the diameter of the balls that may help. I'm guessing right around 3/8".

likely, but if you take the thing to the hardware store, just get one size under the one that won't go into the hole in the bracket. Or use drill bits to size it.

likely, but if you take the thing to the hardware store, just get one size under the one that won't go into the hole in the bracket. Or use drill bits to size it.
    I'm going to check out that '94 Town Car tomorrow and see if I can get that ash tray, if that doesn't work I guess it's off to the hardware store.

A 94 will probably have much different ash tray mounting hardware.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

+1, '94 will be more like your '02 LSE.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

That should be perfect then. Hopefully it's in better shape or has the parts you need to fix yours.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

The '84 Town Car the local You-Pull-It had is gone now. I guess I'll have to start checking hardware stores.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

I might finally get back to the JY in a couple weeks. I'll check inventory to see if there are any Lincolns that might be suitable donors.

Typo makes sense. I thought you would already know what years you need. Cleared up for future readers who might not know.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    The '84 Town Car the local You-Pull-It had is gone now. I guess I'll have to start checking hardware stores.
    That sux man
    Sorry to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    That sux man
    Sorry to hear that

I don't know what I'll do with all the spares but it looks like I can get large assortments of various sized ball bearings on Amazon for about $15. That may be the way to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast