keyless entry issue/no power won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keyless entry issue/no power won't start

So for the last couple of weeks the keyless entry keypad on my '02 LSE has been giving me issues and yesterday the 3/4 and 9/0 buttons totally stopped functioning. Well this morning dummy me hit the buttons to lock the car and the key was in the ignition and of course it locked. I eventually got the keypad to unlock the car but now I have a weird clicking sound in the dash that sounds like relays kicking in and out. I also have no power to anything and the car will not only not start but putting the key in accessory or on does nothing. The fob will lock and unlock the doors but the door buttons won't. And when I do use the fob the locks act like they have little to no power. I'm guessing all of my screwing around with the keypad did something with the security/PATS system and I now have the battery disconnected, I'm not sure if that will reset anything or not.

Any ideas on what I did? I really need to get this thing going again by tomorrow morning.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Does the LCM control this? It sure as hell seems to control almost everything else!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Does the LCM control this? It sure as hell seems to control almost everything else!
      I have no idea but I sure hope not.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
        I have no idea but I sure hope not.
        If it is the LCM they tend to not be cheap. My guess is $150 and up (for used or refurbished ones) or you can get the relays and rebuild yours. Hopefully, someone here with more electrical experience that I can tell us if this is the probably culprit. I know it creates turn signal and headlight nightmares but so many things go through it that I would not be surprised.

Comment

I don’t see why the LCM would keep me from starting the car or allow it to turn relays on and off constantly with the key removed from the ignition. I have a coworker with a bad LCM in his ‘03 and he just has non functioning turn signals. I also know this LCM was at one point replaced under a recall.

I’ve tried unplugging the keypad in case maybe one or more of the buttons is stuck. That didn’t do anything. Just messing around I did hit the brake pedal with the key on and all of my dash lights, radio, and climate controls came back on.

I could hear the starter engage but it was like it didn’t have enough power to crank. Now I can’t get it to do anything but sit here and click at me with the key removed.
          Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-31-2021, 04:49 PM.

​

Comment

In this video you can hear what it does constantly with the key removed. The clicking goes away with the ignition on but I’m getting very little power.

The door locks are extremely slow and the interior lights go on and off with the clicking in the dash.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/sbjQ4AUq7CE

​

Comment

Well it appears that I’ve fixed the stupid thing. Apparently 45 minutes of sitting in a chair pressing buttons on the keypad to get it unlocked ran my battery down.

As a last resort I attempted to jump it off the Lincoln and it fired right up. I went on a drive to let it charge and everything seems good now.

I also cleaned up the contacts on the keypad when I had it out of the door and it also seems to be working fine again.

Hard to believe all that button pushing took the battery down that far. I only got the idea to jump it because this is how it was acting when my alternator went bad.

I learned my lesson I have a spare door key now.
              Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-31-2021, 06:18 PM.

​

Comment

the interior lights turn on when you push buttons, so thats probably why. Battery might be getting weak too, would be worth a trip by the parts store for a test just before it fucks off at an inconvenient time. When the batt goes dead while vacuuming the car, I know its about used up. Thats somewhere in the 30 minute time span.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Discharged batteries are really hard on alternators so be careful. If your battery was good before this incident you should be fine but if it was already weak I would check things out well and not just try to get the alternator to recharge the battery. A good battery charger or a CTEK unit is a godsend!

Comment

Alternator is slightly over a year old, battery is a year and a half old. I took it into work and put the tester on it. Everything checked out good, headlights also come on when you use the keypad and I probably spent a good 45 minutes screwing with it to get it to unlock.

​

Comment

Wasn’t there an issue with some whales where the keypad would get water in it causing it to go crazy? Water intrusion could be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Packman had a water intrusion issue on his '05 keypad, but I don't recall the symptoms.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                        X