No announcement yet.

{ENGINE} Super Unknown - header install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She sounds awesome mang! So good it makes me want shorties now....
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Justin, that steel pipe you plugged might have cracked somewhere, these rust out very badly and you won't see the crack/hole until you take the bitch out. I say yank the damn thinf out and plug the heads directly (5/8 bolts), see if that solves your leak problem.

Comment

Dang, I had a feeling I should have ripped that out when I had the chance. I don't see how the heck I can get back in there to the bolts with everything together.

I figured I'd try something first, so I re-installed the rubber line that goes from the air pump to the T valve and into that metal pipe to the heads. I plugged the T line that would normally go down towards the cats. Didn't smell anything when it was running this time, but I didn't run it long, so I'll just have to check it out another time.

Comment

*cough* Okay, I'm gettin' way too much exhaust in the cab. I'm not seeing any leaks where the headers bolt to the heads or the H-pipe. I will try snugging the bolts that hold the H-pipe to the headers when I get time. I'm getting a lot of exhaust in the car while cruising down the highway. I'll try to get that emissions pipe off and those holes plugged.

Btw, the rough idle that would show up from time to time appears to be gone. I suppose it was a combination of plugged cats and old Oxygen sensors.

Comment

Justin, I bet it's the damn smog pipe - the postion of the headers mounting flanges (for the H-pipe that is) is such that even if you had a leak there the exhaust will get sucked down under the car from the low pressure created thete while driving - I hale a slight leak in my passenger side pipe-to-manifold connection but I never smell exhaust gases in the car.

Comment

bet u melted the hose to the thermactor pipe........u need to use steel pipe or a section of hi temp silicone hose $$ check there mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I reused the hose sections that were on the car before. I'll check it anyway.
                Last edited by monterey1962; 05-30-2006, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Are there any tricks to getting back to the bolts on that emissions pipe on the back of the heads? Pretty tight squeeze to get a wrench in there. It's only one bolt per side, right? How does one plug the holes? I've got to get this leak fixed.

Comment

Once you get the pipe out. Cut the little blocks off where each bolt goes. Flip them over and rebolt them on. Done. Once you get it off, you will see what I am talking about. The metal blocks act as block off plates.

Comment

Ah, sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Comment

What Blaze said, or you can thread 5/8 bolts directly in the big holes - there will be plenty of carbon build-up shit there though, so it'll take you a while to clean the threads.

Comment

Oh, so those holes are actually threaded. Now I get it. Cool. I'll see what I find.

Comment

Yeah, they are threaded, but it's a bitch and a half to get the bolts in there - I had my upper intake off when doing mine, so maneuvering the wrench in there was much easier - in any case give it a try, but don't get surprised if you end up using Blaze's method for sealing them air ports.

Comment

Got you, you little bastard . . .

I ended up cutting the pipe and flipping the ends around. We'll see what happens now.
                              Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Told ya it was the air pipe - your damage on it ain't nothing compared to mine though, my air pipe has half-desinegrated at the back side of the bend after the check valve. Glad you got it taken care of, guess there ain't no more exhaust leak?

Comment

Working...
                                X