8.8 axle, bearing, and seal R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.8 axle, bearing, and seal R&R

This is another repair job that may seem like too much to the automotive hobbyist but really isn't too bad if you have the right tools and some direction.
    I had the pleasure of doing this on a lift but this can easily be done in the driveway.
    Forgive me if i leave out small basic steps involving wrench turning safety and common\obvious things like raising the car safely and putting gear oil back in it.

Once you have the pumpkin cover off, you will need to turn the drive shaft (leave it in neutral) until you come to the 8mm - 5/16 hex head pin bolt (red). Carefully remove this (with a 6-point box wrench ideally) and push out the large center pin (green) through the bottom if it hasn't slipped out already.
    Now you can push in the axles (take the drums off) and fish out the C-clips holding them in. It's ok to just push them out letting them fall, you just have to fish them out of the dirty oil in the bottom.
    Be careful not the turn the axles too much while doing this, or the spider gears will fall out of place. They can be put right back in, you just have to get them both back exactly right to line them up for the center pin.
    You can now pull the axles out and inspect them for damage. As you can see, this one was very worn out, since Ford had the great idea of using the axle itself as the inner bearing race.
    They make "repair bearings" which take the place of both the bearing and seal, the extra room allowing the bearings to ride off the worn area of the axle. This will work if you can't find a replacement axle, but results vary in the long run.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

The axle seal is very similar to a hub seal and is removed the same way, with a J-hooked seal puller or other prying device.
    A co-worker had a nice slide hammer puller kit to use which made quick work of removing the bearing. You can rent similar tools at some discount auto parts stores. The bearing gets tapped back in with a driver tool like the one shown, same with the seal. Drive them in evenly until you feel them seat.
    Now you can put the axles back in and put her all back together (re-assembly is just the reverse of the removal ) One side of the pin-hole in the larger pin is slightly tapered out - face this end toward the pin-bolt to avoid stressing the pin (you don't want that to break)...

If you are successful you should now have quiet, leak free axle ends. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    Attached Files
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The c clips just fall off the axle once you push it toward the differential or do you have to coerce them out?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Either-or. Usually the filthier the oil, the more stubborn they are.
        sigpic

Comment

This looked relatively easy to do! Would it be any different on a trac loc rear end?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The first one I opened up at the junkyard was a TL (I may go back to get it...)
            The S-clips being in the way made it a lot harder to fish the C-clips all the way out, other than that it seemed the same.
            sigpic

Comment

ahh so not too big of a deal. Maybe a magnet would come in handy in that situation?

Quick question is this the c clip circled in Pink?

Attached Files
              ~David~

Comment

Yep.
                Once you push the axles in, that end pokes out so you can get at the clip. And yes, that is ALL that's holding your wheel/axle to the car, so be sure to put them back in
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the write up, very helpful.
                  ~David~

Comment

You're welcome to mooch any of the pics I took while doing the axle in my Country Squire. Includes pics of the three-jaw slide hammer and the full driver set.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

hey thanks allot for that writeup... that will help me out for my swap here in a few weeks.
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

sometimes you need an assistant to put pressure on the axle to slide the c clips out......i have noticed some axles have o rings on the carrier side ends and some dont.....the ones with the o rings you need to push the clip a little harder to get them free.......why you need a magnet david? afraid of gettin a little oily?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Maybe the magnet would help fish out the c clip if it goes anywhere my fingers wouldn't fit for insistence between the spider gears and the s clip in trac loc rear ends.
                          ~David~

Comment

Pete, did you remember to grease the inner diameter of the seal before reinstalling the axle shaft? Failure on my part to do so was what caused mine to fail, as you may remember. (Warning for those on dialup: the link has lots of big pictures in it that will make your modem cry.)

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Nice writeup....I'll add it to the FAQ
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X