wiper questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiper questions

Got some new wipers today but they don't seem to fit. Is there a special adaptor I need? They are Lexar ST's frm Walmart and they came with 3 different adaptors but non of them work right??

Also I got the arm and control box to convert mine to intermittant, but how the fuck do I get at the original box under the dash??

all you need to do is stick the post on the end of the wiper arm into the hole in the very middle of the blade - unless your arm is different than mine.

The wiper switch is inside the steering column, its not hard to get to. A few screws and the column shroud comes off for acess to the switch.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You shouldn't need any adapter, usually the one you need is already in the wiper.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
        The wiper switch is inside the steering column, its not hard to get to. A few screws and the column shroud comes off for access to the switch.
        Not the lever but the box that the lever plugs into. Its up under the dash. Looks to be behind the headlight switch somewhere. Do you know how to get in there?

The wipers didn't seem to fit right. Maybe I'm just a retard :drug:

Comment

are you sure about where you think the wiper controll is? the wiper switch is attached to the end of the lever, inside the steeriing column.
          The only other part of the wiper system is the wiper motor itself, witch is sticking out of the upper firewall under the hood, near the brake booster.

Check out jonnies thread here for some pics of inside the column and some info on taking it off. removing the wiper switch is almost the same as removing the turn signal switch.

edit: hhhmmmmm... after re reading your original post, maybe theres part of the intermittent system thats not part of basic wipers.
          Does the wiper lever you got have this grey box on the end????

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-10-2006, 05:22 PM.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I think so . The plug going into the switch runs to a little box mounted under/in the dash. I'm switching from 2-speed to intermittant and I think that box is what controls them.

Comment

Ya, there is a box for intermittant wipers under the dash and to the right of the steering collumn i think. It is just held on by two screws. Here's a pic:

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

YES! thats it. I can't find it under my dash. The one I pulled it out of had it right under there, on mine I can't see past that metal bracket around the steering column.

Comment

Its easiest to do any work under the dash with your legs over the back of the seat and your head resting on the floor. A little awkward but you get a good view of everything underneath. I cant remember exactly, but i think it was on the passenger side of the steering collumn, or it could have been slightly above it also. I dont have it installed in my car currently so i cant check for sure. there is only about 10" of wiring between the harness and the box itself so it shouldn't be to hard to trace.

Actually, i just realized you were converting from standard to intermittant... i dont think there is any box at all for standard wipers, just wiring to the motor. I was planning on converting to intermittant but havent gotten around to it yet. I have the controll box for when i do. Let me know how it works out.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                  1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty
                    Actually, i just realized you were converting from standard to intermittant... i dont think there is any box at all for standard wipers, just wiring to the motor. I was planning on converting to intermittant but havent gotten around to it yet. I have the controll box for when i do. Let me know how it works out.
                    I'm a retard :drug: there is no box for standard wipers. After ripping my dash apart, looking for the "box" with no success, I leaned back in the seat and lit a smoke. I was looking at the box I got from the wreckers and realized both plugs look the same, 1 male, 1 female. All you need to do is plug the orignal connector in to the male connector on the box and the female from the box to the new switch. Very easy. There are even holes under the dash to mount the box.

Comment

You dont need to switch motors do you? Just the switch and add the controll box and it's done, correct?

Comment

Right

Comment

lol... i guess thats why you couldnt find it
                          sigpic

Comment

Slingblade

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

So what do I do to switch from intermittant to standard? I need to use these levers I bought...
                              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
                              X