Installing a rear PI sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a rear PI sway bar

I just noticed that my Lower control arms only have 1 hole on each side, but the sway bar needs 2 holes on each side........
    Im guessing that I have to line the bar up to the one hole and then drill out the other hole? Do I line it up to the front hole or the rear hole on the sway bar?
    Any DIY help with this is much appreciated......

....also, if anybody has any extra LCA spacers and nuts and bolts to put this thing on, I would be more then happy to buy them off of you....thanx

I just lined mine up on one hole, put the bolt in and started drilling.

As for the spacers, mine just had a bunch of washers for spacers when I took it off the old cop car. I would just buy the appropriate size bolts and nuts in grade 8 hardware, and then a bunch of cheap flat washers. Figure out how many you need, then stack up that many and tape them so they stay together. (it makes them a lot easier to install)

I dont remember which hole I lined mine up on, as I had both cars side by side to compare them it wasn't an issue.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

thanx for the info!....Im gonna head over to home depot for some grade 8 bolts and matching nuts......good idea on the washer thing, my thoughts were to cut up some metal pipe to fit, but washers seem easier!

The holes you drilled out was 1/2", right?

Anybody out there know which hole to line up on the sway bar to drill out on the LCAs'?

.....TIA
      Last edited by mercuryhead; 04-01-2008, 12:44 AM.

Comment

I think the existing hole will line up with the rear hole on the bar, but once you test fit it, it will be evident.

You can also buy hardened steel spacers at lowes or other hardware stores to use... no need to fool with lots of washers. Might need a few to take up some slack though. Id get hardened steel washers too.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I installed it on Sunday......but now I see I have a slight issue, the bar makes contact with the axle tube on either side of the pumpkin depending on which side is up or not.....
          for example, I parked the rear right wheel on a curb and I looked underneath and the sway bar was touching the axle tube on the left side.
          When the car is level, the bar does NOT make contact, but it does look pretty damn close.

Comment

where did you wind up drilling the holes???
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
              where did you wind up drilling the holes???
              I drilled the rear 2 holes a bit too high....tried fixin it today, but NO GOOD......
              I pulled the bar out..........maybe next week Im gonna get another set of LCAs and not fuck it up this time.

Comment

You should get your friend who got you the RSB, to go ahead and grab the LCA's from the P72 as well.

Not only do they have bent lips on the inside, so that the bar can slide in much easier, they are also made of a Thicker Gauge steel, and are much more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                  You should get your friend who got you the RSB, to go ahead and grab the LCA's from the P72 as well.

Not only do they have bent lips on the inside, so that the bar can slide in much easier, they are also made of a Thicker Gauge steel, and are much more durable.
                  too late....he couldnt get the bar out, so the retard cut the LCAs to make his life easier

.....now my LCAs have extra holes and I bent the lip as well, I hope they dont bend on me before I can grab another set.

......maybe you can pull a set from a P72 out for me on your next JY run?
                  Last edited by mercuryhead; 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mercuryhead View Post

......maybe you can pull a set from a P72 out for me on your next JY run?

This is a possibility, I'm gonna make my springtime yard run this Thursday. Not sure if there are any PI's there now, but if there are I will go ahead and pull a set for ya, and let you know on Friday.

Comment

This is a possibility, I'm gonna make my springtime yard run this Thursday. Not sure if there are any PI's there now, but if there are I will go ahead and pull a set for ya, and let you know on Friday.
                      kewl....
                      if you dont see any '91 or older PI's there.......I would even settle for a regular set(panther '97s and older are the same).

But like you said, PI LCAs are stronger and already have the necessary holes, so those are much more preferred......
                      thanx!!!.....

Comment

No Prob, I'll keep an eye out for both.

Comment

No Prob, I'll keep an eye out for both.
                          Actually, I think I can find regular ones locally.......
                          So grab me a set only if they are from a '91 or older PI.....Ill most definitely want those!

thank you! :worship::worship::worship:

Comment

Originally posted by mercuryhead View Post
                            Actually, I think I can find regular ones locally.......
                            So grab me a set only if they are from a '91 or older PI.....Ill most definitely want those!

thank you! :worship::worship::worship:

You got it! I figured you would probibly want the PI LCA's anyway.

Comment

You got it! I figured you would probibly want the PI LCA's anyway.
                              Thank you!!....and I will for sure make it worth your while!

Comment

Working...
                              X