Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes

Ok, I read through all the stickies. Can any one advise on the process for the front big brake swap? I hear you have to change the upper control arms. See below for vehicle info.
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Ok, Ill be a little more detailed. What needs to be replaced? Lower balljoints? spindal? Upper control arm and all its components? If so, what would be the correct donor car's year, make, and model?
    sigpic

Comment

I think the exact parts are in the stickie in the suspention forum, but:

92-94 upper arms (the ones with the shaft that bolts to the frame) this is becuase you have to use the newer style upper ball joint.

98-2002 lower ball joints and steering knuckle with all brake parts and hub (this is the years of the "big brake" parts we can use)

any upper ball joint from those years should work, I think...

you want front hoses WITH ABS application - otherwise you get a left hose with an inlet and an outlet.

oh, all vics, grand marqs and towncars all had the same parts IIRC so any of those models work. Police vics have slightly different calipers, maybe...
      Im not sure which part has the ABS ring for ABS cars, but the price may vary on that part for abs/non-abs.
      Last edited by 85crownHPP; 04-04-2008, 07:39 PM.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Can I still use my OE lower control arms
        sigpic

Comment

Based on other member's car. They use the 98-02 swap. It seems as if everything is replaced except for the lower control arms. Is this correct?
          sigpic

Comment

yup... just put the newer ball joint in the stock arms.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The lower control arms from 79-2002 are the same, so if you want, you can grab a set of LCA from a junkyard donor to clean, paint, and install new bushings in ahead of time so the car is apart for less time. Your option, makes absolutely no difference. I definitely would suggest new control arm bushings for the upper and lower though if you haven't replaced yours.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, Thanks guys. So everything from 98-02 are considered "big brakes?" Do I need to change the master???
                sigpic

Comment

Im also looking into rear disks. Should I keep that in mind when I buy the master??
                  sigpic

Comment

I have big front brakes and rear disc on the stock original 1986 MC and it works fine. The fittings are actually different on later master cylinders so its not a direct swap. The stock one seems to be up to the task though.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

a rebuilt stock master cyl is fine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

In reference to 85crownHPP's answer. He mentioned that I need the upper control arms withthe shaft that bolts to the frame. My current suspention is that way now. ????
                        sigpic

Comment

the arms bolt to the frame the same 92-94 but the upper ball joint is alot different and so is the spindle

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Is this really worth the workand money?? Please be honest. I will be doing some drag racing for fun on the weekends. Other than that its for the street. I do want better all around performance. you know, like handling and braking. Should I take note As to what the donor car's information is, for replacement parts if something breaks later?
                            sigpic

Comment

read my other post
                              yes it's worth every penny.....braking is much better.....no more warped rotors

Comment

Working...
                              X