New tires for the bullitts, what size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires for the bullitts, what size?

After i completely roast the existing tires i really want to get some tires to fill out the wheel wells on the vic. I have cargo springs in the rear, and i really like the rake so i am now against dropping the car. Currently my car looks like this with the bullitts.

That is with the stockers (245 45 17)

I am thinking, actually highly leaning towards getting 255 50 17's for the fronts and 255 60 17's for the rears. I believe that this combo will look good and fill up those huge wheel wells, really nicely.

What do you guys suggests?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Do a 275 on the rear.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the 255/50s are an inch taller, so you might reconsider the drop. I always suggest NOT staggering the tires.

Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

is that because you cant rotate then?
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yup, and the bigger rears will make it have even more of a rake.

oooh, pre-SF08 dent....
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

235/55 front, 255/55 rear
            I think you will find this combo easiest on the wallet too...
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              235/55 front, 255/55 rear
              I think you will find this combo easiest on the wallet too...
              235's seem too narrow on a 8 inch rim, the 245's already seem cutting it.
              and i am using tire rack as my source and i only have two choices for 255/55 and i can get my larger 255/60 for far less.

I have heard swell things about general grabbers and that is what i will be going for in tire brand. They are relatively cheap. And have great tread wear.
              ~David~

Comment

Oh and i think that 60's for the rear would be too tall, after consulting with a few experts.
                ~David~

Comment

225 are fine on 8 inch wheels. Ive run em before.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

OK i am now thinking about 255 50 17 up front and 275 55 17 in the rear.

Someone other than Nate, please tell me if 275 in the rear on a 8 inch wide rim is too big or just to big period to be on my car.
                    ~David~

Comment

275/55 may be a bit much on a 8" wide wheel. I ran a 275/60 and it was kinda close to rolling the side tread. 275/60 is a bit tall for you though. Although it would look good.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                        275/55 may be a bit much on a 8" wide wheel. I ran a 275/60 and it was kinda close to rolling the side tread. 275/60 is a bit tall for you though. Although it would look good.
                        Yea thats what i thought about them on a 8 inch wide wheel.

I gott see HOW tall they would look. 255/60's on the rear.
                        ~David~

Comment

I know i cant really base anything off of this but....

I hate that, that car has the reverse rake as to what i have.

That is 60 in the rear and 50 up front.
                          ~David~

Comment

By the way, Mikey, I sincerely thank you for these pictures. I'm seriously considering running this tire size and wheel combo on my Bird....

Comment

235/60-15 (7" rim) up front and 275/60-15 (8" rim) in back.
                              This'll give you an idea of how a 28" tall tire will fill out the rear wheel opening.
                              Front has been lowered something like 1-1/2"+/- with street stock springs, rears are cargo coils.
                              Attached Files
                              1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                              1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                              1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Working...
                              X