Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy From Labrador

Hi everyone,

My name is Randy, i'm not a Ford fan at heart but i joined because i received an 86 Mercury Grand Marquis for free the other day.

I helped a friend pull it out of the woods close to my shop and once it was out he asked me if i wanted it LOL.

I say i'm not a Ford fan but it's mostly because i haven't seen alot of vehicles of theirs that i enjoyed.

I've always liked 70's era F-150's/Bronco's, first gen and early fox body Mustangs, GT40's and of course, the Crown Vic/GM/Town Car's. I've been a big fan of cop issue vehicles my entire life, i've owned one of them and it was my first car.

I might catch some flaming for this but my first car was an 88 Caprice 9C1 (had a 305 in it due to PO blowing the 350). I loved that car, but it was more to do with RWD, V8, full size body on frame cars than anything.

So i'm not here to bash or cause trouble, just wanna learn about this free car that i hope i can keep running and make it into a beautiful example of a once proud class of cars...the full size RWD american road beast.

(sorry no pics they will be coming soon)

My plan is to maybe lower it a bit (keeping the rake though), make it handle great yet still retain the smoothness, get the motor freshened up and running hard, etc.

Generally i want this to run well enough to put newer cars to shame. It's gonna be my cruiser/DD so that i can finally build my trucks into specialized beasts of their own

welcome, b'ye. there are a couple other maritimers on here as well.

nothing wrong with a free car. is it efi? how's the rust?

what kinda trucks are you building into beasts?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Welcome! We'll overlook the fact that you're a Chevy boy. :p Nah, it's really no big deal. We're glad to have you, and we'll gladly help you do anything with the car that you like. Stick around, do some reading, and enjoy yourself!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Welcome!
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If you're gonna be in love with a Chevy, the Caprice is about as acceptable to us as you can get.

Also,
              More Canadians. I like.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                welcome, b'ye. there are a couple other maritimers on here as well.

nothing wrong with a free car. is it efi? how's the rust?

what kinda trucks are you building into beasts?
                sweet, glad to see that there is some fellow canadians on here

It's MPFI, as far as i could tell. I haven't had the time from work to actually pick at the car yet, so i'm not 100%. Tonight i hope to be able to get this into my shop and see what i might be dealing with.

I've got 2 chevy trucks (98 GMC Sierra for my work beater and an 83 K5 Diesel as my off roader).

Once i get a good look at this car, i'll be able to see if i can get this thing going right. If the transmission is screwed in it and if it's too rusty, i do plan to have a bit of fun with this thing.

We've got a 73 Ford F-700 boom truck that is gonna be getting an engine transplant in the coming months, so the 427 is coming out of it. I'd like to see that freshened up and sitting between the front fenders of this Merc, but only if i don't have the money to get this thing road legal with it's original 5.0L.

I do plan to treat this car like it should be. Despite me being a GM fan, i love full size cop cruiser vehicles, whether it's Dodge, Ford or Chevy. If it's good enough for years of tough law enforcement duty, then it's good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                  Welcome! We'll overlook the fact that you're a Chevy boy. :p Nah, it's really no big deal. We're glad to have you, and we'll gladly help you do anything with the car that you like. Stick around, do some reading, and enjoy yourself!
                  I plan to take in as much as i can, i like to learn and will use what i learn to great results.

I also don't like things going to waste either, so if this car is not worth fixing, i'll take the motor/trans/etc. out and find it a suitable home in a possible prerunner project.

I'll make Ford proud

Comment

Pics of your '73 F-700 are welcome too!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I'll get some pics up ASAP

Might be sometime this weekend but it's in great condition, seeing as how it lived in Labrador all of it's life. The GM hasn't faired so well because it came from Newfoundland, but it's only the drivers side floorpan that has seen the worst of it.

Got the car running the other day and it seems to run fine (needs a tune-up though). Also found out it's an 87 model, but i don't think there's much difference between the 2 model years (86-87)

Comment

Another Canuck sneaks in. =-) Welcome.

Alex.

Comment

welcome man
                          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                          87 mercury grand marquis
                          88 crown vic lx
                          89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                          89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                          00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                          03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Welcome to GMN!
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, i might end up selling the GM but i'm hesitant. i could use the money but i could also use a car

Either way the car will probably sit for most of the winter, because it's too crazy around here in Labrador for a long RWD car. It seems to have pretty good all seasons on it, but during a blizzard it would be absolutely useless. That's the trouble with living in the arctic (or near it)

Perfect chance to get it tuned up and working right though, get the floor pan welded back up, pull the trans, etc.
                              Last edited by koots; 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X