Best Spark Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Spark Plugs?

And by "best," I mean best for someone like me who has no plans for engine mods of any kind.

I have had great luck in other cars with Bosch Platinum +4s, but for this car I would think +2s are plenty good enough. I've actually wondered if the +2s wouldn't be generally a better choice in most cases in the first place because they are more open, but I doubt it matters much.

So, since I'm asking noob questions (and I did search a bit on this) which plug is the best compromise of low cost versus good longevity and stock performance/fuel mileage?

I will also be replacing the plug wires, though on that you guys all seem to prefer the Ford racing wires. Will I go directly to hell if I choose the cheapest lifetime plug wires from either O'Reilly's or Autozone? (I'm a receipt saver; I have got at O'Reilly's a LOT on part warranties through the years.)

Best plug for the vast majority of Windsor-motor applications is a regular name-brand copper core plug, typically Autolite or Motorcraft. The main benefit of platinum plugs is extended plug life, and rarely if ever does anyone note any actual improvement from quadrupling (or worse) your plug cost with the multi-tip models.

For wires, do a little research somewhere like summitracing.com and choose the lowest-resistance wire you feel justified buying. Some models use resistor cores for RFI suppression; better ones will use a spiral-wound core instead. I personally liked my Taylor SpiroPros pretty well, and I recall them being advertised at 200 Ohms per foot. Taylor also offers a brass terminal cap and rotor that are probably better than the ACCEL cap and rotor.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Michael pretty much summed it up.

I used to use Autolite platinum plugs, until I tired copper plugs at Scott's suggestion. They're cheaper, and I always thought the car ran better. The last set of Autolite plugs I bought were still made in the US, I believe.

Don't buy a Ford cap, it has the aluminum terminals.

I made my own Taylor wires one time (bought the special tool, etc). It was a pain, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Just my .02...
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i use motorcraft copper plugs in ford products, ac delco copper plugs in gm products, and champion copper plugs in chrysler products.........i only use platinum plugs if the vehicle calls for them
        i used to be a fan of autolite plugs till they started making them in china

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

E3 spark plugs. I'm hooked.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Motorcraft copper it is!

Comment

i have autolite iridiums with good success
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I've used NGK v-power plugs in a few of my cars. They're $2 a piece and have been reliable.
                "It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
                -Father Dennis O'Brien, USMC

Comment

I even run Autolite in my Chevy truck. I can't get Delco copper plugs for it anymore, just the $6 each double platinum Rapidfire plugs. It runs just dandy on $1.25 Autolite though. Towncar I believe is running US made Autolites, and the Mark VII runs Motorcraft plugs. If the Townie doesn't have Autolites, its got Motorcraft.

Wires, Autolite Premium on the Chevy, Napa Premium (Belden) on the Mark VII, Taylor SpiroPro on the Towncar. Cap is just whatever brass terminal cap the store had, probably Accel or maybe they're the premium Echlin (Napa) cap.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

APP2545 Autolite if they are still made in the usa..

They are the only plugs i've had that all burned with nice tan tip.
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

The car ended up having Motorcraft plugs in it. I pulled #1 and #8 and they both looked very good, so I let those ride.

I installed new Omnispark (O'Reilly's) wires, and as I had mentioned earlier a new TFI module and coil. The cap and rotor are Motorcaft and are basically pristine, and though the cap does have the aluminum towers, I let the cap and rotor ride as well.

Car runs 95 percent now. I believe the IAC is sticky, because it doesn't want to idle well below about 30 degrees or until it runs a couple minutes. Going to be cleaning the IAC and setting the TV cable pretty quick.

I went to the Ford dealer and bought that TV grommet only to find mine had the brass type with the clip already installed. It seems someone took pretty good care of this car up until perhaps the last couple of years...

Comment

good deal

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Cool. probably it had a transmission put in it. Usually thats when the brass bushing goes in. My Mark VII has the brass bushing, and I found the receipt for the trans job with the brass bushing listed on the bill as well.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Cool. probably it had a transmission put in it. Usually thats when the brass bushing goes in. My Mark VII has the brass bushing, and I found the receipt for the trans job with the brass bushing listed on the bill as well.
                            I suspect that as well, but have found no receipt.

Comment

Working...
                            X