02 mgm oil problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 mgm oil problem

I do an oil change every 5000 Km's, or every 4 months, and each time I burn about 1.5 quarts within that interval, should I be worried?. I like my things in perfect condition, should I do any tune ups or replace my plugs maybe? Thanks,
    Ryan.

In my experience with the 4.6 2v, a lot of it has to do with what oil you're using. When I ran standard oil, I burned off a lot of it. Once I started taking it to the Ford dealer, they put Motorcraft synthetic blend and it lasted much longer. What kind of oil are you using?

Comment

I use about a quart of pure synthetic per 5K miles in mine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
        In my experience with the 4.6 2v, a lot of it has to do with what oil you're using. When I ran standard oil, I burned off a lot of it. Once I started taking it to the Ford dealer, they put Motorcraft synthetic blend and it lasted much longer. What kind of oil are you using?
        This. I used to be a Castrol Syntec guy but switched to Valvoline SynPower within the last year or two. I noticed that with all vehicles my oil consumption has gone down. I use Motorcraft filters for the Ferds, ACDelco for the GM's & WIX for the MOPAR. Ash and I change the oil in our stuff every 6k miles or 6 months, with my TC hitting the time interval rather than mileage. When my oil is at about the 5 month mark that's when I notice I have to start adding, maybe a quart until it's time to change it. When Ashley gets to about the 4800 mile mark her TC starts to use oil too. These are all the good ole tried & true push rod motors though.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

right now I'm using whatever is on sale at the time, mostly Castro high mileage and motomaster normal.

Comment

I've had two 4.6 cars a '95 Grand Marquis that I inherited with 102,000 miles on it and my current '01 Town Car which is right at 121,000. I have only ever ran Motorcraft 5w-20 in them, conventional in the '95 because thats all I ever saw, synthetic blend in the TC because thats all I can find. The '95 burnt about a quart every 2500-3000 miles but that was probably due to a known problem with '91-'95 valve seals, The Town Car goes 5k between changes and has yet to burn a drop. I've put 12k miles on it since I bought it in April and no oil burning. Now I'm guessing your valve seals aren't the problem on an '02, and while I'm not gonna say it's definately the oil your using it's always a possibility.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

the Castrol High Mileage is already synthetic blend. You're also using 5w20 right? If you use 5w30... you're probably fine as long as you're in a hot area. 10w30/40 may cause excessive wear as it won't flow as well through some of the tight spots.

also, if the PCV valve has never been changed... might wanna do that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X