Best tire size for a 94 Marquis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tire size for a 94 Marquis?

I have a 94 Grand Marquis, currently on 225/70R15 tires. Are these the best size to run, or are there other choices that would do just as well or better? Thanks, Ed

Yup.
    Mine came with 215's, and they tend to be cheaper.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I run 225 70 15s on my wagon because, they are the widest tire you can get with whites. I also think that is the best size for 15" rim for these cars. Plus, box police cars used that size.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

PepBoys has a whitewall Futura, 215/70R15, and a Cornell, 225/70R15, whitewall. The other thread I posted about blackwall/whitewall tires had interesting comments on various whitewall tires. The Michelin Symmetry, and Michelin LX4,after researching them, seem to be not so great in wet weather. Same with the TOYO extensa, All are fairly expensive. The Futura runs about $85 ea. But I couldn't find too much on the internet of people who have them. Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions. Ed P.S When the 94 Marquis came out, what size tires did they have originally?
        Last edited by erp52; 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

most any tire on these cars in stock form is unhappy in the wet until you get to stuff like aquatreds and other high end tires. The cheap tires do pretty good when new, but after about 10K miles, they show their true colors. I'm interested to see how the Michelin Defenders perform on my 93. after the initial glaze was worn off, they're showing excellent traction in the dry and cold. Still haven't had any wet weather though since putting those on. And they were only $123/tire... so not terribly expensive (even though it was the MOST expensive tire at Discount in that size - 215/70r15). As for original tires... the size you're looking for. There should also be a tire decal on the body if you open the passenger rear door... should look a LOT like the one on my 93 vic...

Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 225 60 16s definitely feel better.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the info. For some reason, that tire tag information for my car is not there. 16 might be nice, but that means changing the rims, I assume. So, as much as I would like the 225 size, there aren't too many choices out there for it. But, in the 215, there are. Back to the drawing board.......Ed

Comment

I'd go for 215's because there are name brand, new, car-oriented designs. The Defenders are absolutely what I'd go for if whitewalls don't matter. I install a TON of 215/70/15 defenders at work because it's what we always recommend for that size, and that size is used for lots of panthers and most older domestic minivans. They always spin up nicely (not much weight to balance, very true/wobble free) and the reviews on Tire Rack are very positive.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yes, That's what I was thinking, too. But, I also noticed on the Tirerack reviews, the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred seems to be another good choice. I guess I'll flip a coin. Ed

Comment

the comfortred was a special order item at my location, so I went with the defenders.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X