91 GMGS Tranny & or Rear End Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 GMGS Tranny & or Rear End Problems

Hello and happy holidays. I am having some issues with my panther. The drivetrain feels slopy and when it down shifts it makes a clunking noise and jolts the car. If your on the highway and step on it the car shifts down and jolts really hard, and when you slow to a red light it does the same thing but its mild compared to on the the highway. It doesnt feel like its sliping, just feels like there is alot of play in the drive line. Im just trying to get some ideas on what to check. Ill be tearing her down next week after christmas, im off work all week. Any thoughts? I apreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.
    Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
    Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

sounds like a classic U-joint failure to me. Inspect and replace as required. Any good driveline shop will install new joints and balance the drive shaft for you if you remove it and take it to them. place I go to charges about $65 for it and it really makes a difference.

you should also check your TV grommet, located on the throttle lever, see if its missing or worn.
    checking and adjusting the TV pressure with a gauge wouldnt hurt either.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Yeah, dead/dying U joints, or maybe excessive play in the rear but the U joints are much easier and cheaper to replace.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Crawl under and grab hold of the driveshaft, twist it and try to move it up and down and left and right at both the trans and the rear end, good way to find out.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X