Well maybe it wasn't an Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well maybe it wasn't an Alternator

I thought my starting problems would be solved after I installed my new alternator but things just can't be that easy for me. I have had the car not start and then crank up a few tries later. Usually when it doesn't start all the dash lights refuse to come on while starting or having the key at the on position. Come back a few minutes later and it starts? I also had the car cut all power twice while driving at night, it came back on after less than a second but it was noticeable. I installed a new starter solenoid yesterday and the car wouldn't start the first time I tried it. I jumped it with the zephyr and grounded the jumper cable to then engine and not the battery - it started. Pull the jumper cables and it starts fine on its own again.

I'm going to buy some new battery cables today and hope that solves my problem. Anyway to test the starter?
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Most carparts places will test the starter.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'd say there are issues in the column.

Comment

yeah, the ignition switch might be going bad.

Comment

Any way to diagnose the switch? And would it be random like my problems are? I thought it might even be time related, but it will give me trouble if it sits for 15 mins or 15 hours.
          -Matt

Comment

Yep. Try jiggling the switch while its running and see if anything happens.

Comment

I'd also pull and clean all those connections on the starter relay, as well as making sure the ground connections are all good. should be a ground strap on the back of the passenger side head and the ground cable from block to battery. Pull and clean both ends of those and see if it helps
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok some new news, car decides it doesn't want to start again. Turn the key to start/on and the interior lights just dim. I used jumper cables to ground the battery to the AC bracket with the same result. Then I used my dads truck to jump the car and it started fine.

But all during this time the positive (red) cable was warm to the touch. Is my cable shot? Or the battery? I'm taking the battery to napa tomorrow to get it tested.
                -Matt

Comment

Sounds like there is quite a draw on the battery. Wonder if there is anything constantly drawing some juice...

Comment

could be the cable is internally toast and is a high resistance circuit. Pull the ground cable and insert a light between the battery and ground cable. If the light is on with everything switched off, you have an electrical drain someplace. Start disconnecting things untill the light goes out to determine what it is.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

does the 91 have the underhood fuse panel? reason i ask is cause i used to work on a 90 towncar........the connections were bad in the underhood fuse panel.......i ended up soldering the connections, and problem fixed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have some relays under the hood for AC & fuel but the fuses are in the car uner the dash. I swapped in a different battery and I'm getting my original tested tomorrow.
                        -Matt

Comment

if you cant figure it out, catch up with me this weekend..........i will be in malvern saturday pulling an engine/trans out of a mark 7 so we can fix triplexxx's car and my volvo.......sunday mrltd might be coming up here too.........pm me if u want my cell #
                          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                          X