X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any differences between water pumps?

Napa sells "tru-flow" (apparently made by gates),
    advance sell GMB

rockauto sells airtex, cardone, gates, bosch, acdelco, motorcraft.

Tempted to go with the local one (advance or napa) for quick/convenient. After shipping costs, rockauto isn't significantly cheaper.

I'm pulling the engine, and taking down the timing cover to swap out the cam.
    When I did my rebuild a year ago I accidentally left out the clutch fan spacer and had an eccentric fan for a month: I figure it's wise, given the likely damage to the bearings, to spend $35 and put on a new pump when I'm taking off the pump anyway.
    Is there a real quality difference between any of them? GMB's OK?

btw, I am looking at the iron ones for 1988

Comment

I got lucky and got a motorcraft one (not a reman) local dealer had looked it up for me and it came up discontinued, but showed one in stock he sold it to me for $15.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Take it with a grain of salt, since I've been a member 10 minutes haha, but here's my .02.

On a lot of European cars cheap asian pumps will have a plastic impeller instead of metal, leading to quick failure. GMB isn't bad, I used them on a few of my mercedes. Physically handle one in the store to see if it has a metal impeller, it varies based on the model #. Possibly more than one assembly plant? I believe there's an acdelco on my Ford 4.9 now. Been there long enough to rust, PO installed so I don't know age.

Then again, you can never go wrong with motorcraft!
        Dave- collector of the old, slow, and free
        86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
        87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

Skip the reman pumps. Generally speaking the rest are largely the same. Try to buy a brand you've heard of though. I do tend to like Motorcraft parts when I can get them. they seem to be a little better built, and they fit correctly.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

on our cars, I've only ever seen metal impellors.

I'd already picked up GMB from an advance before I even posted this thread, and was wondering if there were other options to reconsider.
            Well, took another look, and "made in china"; took a closer look, and there's smooshed metal marks at the end of the shaft, like someone had hammered it into its bearings!
            I think the GMB might be going back. Is gates/napa truflow made in china, or someplace better?

Comment

Working...
            X