1970 351W 4V Factory cast heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 351W 4V Factory cast heads

Hi guys I found a set of these heads off a guy on kijiji and was trying to find exactly what they are. Are they the bogger port heads? They are assembled and he wants $700 for them. I adding a 4 brrl and intake and cam to my 351w and am weighing my options for heads. Thanks

There is no such thing as 351W 4V heads. 69 TO 72 351W heads were all the same they have larger ports and valves than a 302 head. They were used as a base for the GT40 heads. Only issue is the 18mm spark plugs they used since all manufactures stoped production of the most common high performance plug used in 18mm plug heads used in any FORD hipo engine. These includ 240, 289, 302, 351W, 460, 390 list goes on.
    Cost is too much unported unless some one wants period correct parts for a concours build.
    Head PN should be DOOE for a 70s head.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Ford never offered the 351W with a 4V in 1970. The only 351W 4V they ever offered back then was in 1969.
      Starting in 1970 all 351 4V engines were 351C's.
      Having said that, the 69-74 351W castings are the best if you want a vintage factory cast iron head.
      As far as I know 351W heads are all the same 69-74, the 69 windsor 4V engine used different pistons to raise compression.
      Starting in 75 and up the 351W heads are not worth having because of the changes made to meet smog laws.
      If those heads have casting numbers starting with anything between C9 and D4, those are the good ones.
      If they are stock, they are the ones you would want, but I would not pay $700, they are just not worth that.
      You can get the same performance using 96 GT40 heads from an Explorer, they flow just as good.

Comment

For $700 you may as well go with an aftermarket aluminum head.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Because of the different expansion rate between cast iron and aluminum, how do you keep from a head gasket leak developing on an engine with aluminum heads on a cast iron block? Are there gaskets made specifically to solve that issue? That's why GM Vortec small blocks had lower intake gasket leaks, the plastic intake on cast heads.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

too much munny for used heads

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

No hardened valve seats, and those goofy rail rockers. Also, those gigantor spark plugs. Pass.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I run DOOE heads on Creamy. Purchased them back in the mid 70s. They sat untill I purchased a 84 Mustang in 89 did a pocket port and used stock valves and seats. Put 160K on them no seat wear. fULLY PORTED THEM AND INSTALLED LARGER VALVEs still running them another 100K. Last appart to install better lighter behive springs 2 years ago lapped the valves in just because still no seat issues. Only issue is correct heat range plugs. There was a company making adapters to allow the use of 14mm plugs looking into that found the company might have gone out of business not sure yet.

As for rail rockers back in the 1968 to mid 70s ran them with tight lash solid lifters into the 8000RPM band with no problems. I did use screw in studs but didnt use guide plates or machine for them. The rail rockers were realy better than the stamped steel ones more expensive too thats why Ford went to stamped rockers. So were the earlier rockers without the rails.

Comment

Okay well thats good to know this info about them that means the guys selling them doesnt have a clue what he's talking about . Okay I found theses C9OE 351W heads as well all new part been port matched 1.94 intake 1.60 exhaust screw in studs , guide plates, hardened valve seats valve springs all new asking $350 for the set ( got him down from $500) Your thoughts? I'm in a new world here with a Ford so any info is greatly appreciated guys

Comment

Thats much better!
                    Sounds like a deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Put 160K on them no seat wear.
                      This I find unlikely just based on my own experience with stock iron heads that came with hardened seats from the factory for use with unleaded fuel. I've had several apart in front of me between 100 and 150k that had noticeably pitted and burned seats. All of them needed the seats ground to get a proper valve seal and the exhaust valves ground or replaced. How you're getting 160k on non-hardened seats and unleaded fuel with no wear just doesn't make sense to me.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Best info on seat wear on heads that used leaded seasoned the seats somehow. Ford at one time had the idea to give a couple bottles of lead additive to be used in the first to tanks of fuel in a new vehicle to season the seats. It worked for the seats but not so well for the cats and oxy sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by soaddrummer View Post
                          Okay well thats good to know this info about them that means the guys selling them doesnt have a clue what he's talking about . Okay I found theses C9OE 351W heads as well all new part been port matched 1.94 intake 1.60 exhaust screw in studs , guide plates, hardened valve seats valve springs all new asking $350 for the set ( got him down from $500) Your thoughts? I'm in a new world here with a Ford so any info is greatly appreciated guys
                          Does he have receipts of the work done from a local reputable machine shop or is this a craigslist hand job special?
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The last "ready to run" heads I got from craigslist needed a full set of exhaust valves, 3 intake valves, and a re-surface to correct for the gasket grinder damage. The heads had been rebuilt not long before I bought them. What they left out was they were put on an engine that someone f'd up thje PTV clearance and it bent half the valves. Only half of the exhaust valves were bent, but my local shop couldn't match them so I had to spring for a complete set. They looked OK, but I figured it was worth having them checked out. Not that its mattered, those things have been on the shelf for 4 years now.

Comment

Just wondering if was worth asking the original seller to show a picture of the actual "4 valve" portion of the heads. There is apparently a slim chance that they are 4 valve units.

Even if they are 4 valve, would they be worth it? IDK.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X