Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sweet........
      2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
      85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
      07 JCL 250 A Scooter
      79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

No Spark

Ok a couple of nights ago I tried to fire up the motor and got a couple fire balls out the exhaust. I thought ok good sign I just need to play with the timing a little more. It was late and I called it a night. Came back to it today and I have nothin'. Every thing is hooked up the same as I had it. All I did was reset TDC and re-dropped the dizzy. Now I can't get any spark. The set up I have is a Mallory 25 with a pertronix kit and a msd coil. I reading 12v coming off the both sides of the coil with the ignition on is that right? I attach the instructions that came with the pertronix kit for ya'lls perusal if that helps with any ideas.
        Last edited by Pesty351; 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
          Ok a couple of nights ago I tried to fire up the motor and got a couple fire balls out the exhaust. I thought ok good sign I just need to play with the timing a little more. It was late and I called it a night. Came back to it today and I have nothin'. Every thing is hooked up the same as I had it. All I did was reset TDC and re-dropped the dizzy. Now I can't get any spark. The set up I have is a Mallory 25 with a pertronix kit and a msd coil. I reading 12v coming off the both sides of the coil with the ignition on is that right? I attach the instructions that came with the pertronix kit for ya'lls perusal if that helps with any ideas.
          I've installed somewhere between 20-25 of the Pertronix kits...and I've only killed one...the first one.....so I have some questions:

1. Is this an oil-filled Blaster II coil? If so, the coil itself only supposed to be getting 9 volts, which requires a resistor, but the Ignitor needs 12....please continue reading.

2. If this IS a Blaster II coil you are using, then you need to hook up the Pertronix via' "Figure 3", where you split the wire normally going into the + side of the coil, bypassing the resistor, and sending 12V straight to the pertronix. If you have a resistor, and wired it up like 'Figure 2', you may have fried the Pertronix. Likewise, if you ran 12V to the oil-filled Blaster II coil (if that's what you are running),, and 12V to the Pertronix, that may have killed it also. That's how I scored my one Pertronix kill, by running 12V to both the coil and Ignitor.

3. If you are running the 'E-Coil' blaster, keep in mind that Pertronix doesn't want you running the epoxy-style coil (like on the Ford EEC-4) with their ignitor...that can also cause failure, along with leaving the ignition on for any length of time. The Ignitor II has a microprocessor preventing such damage, but the regular Ignitor is just as susceptible to damage as a regular old set of points if you leave the key on.....which will cause the basic Ignitor to get hot and cook itself...the newer 'II' version simply shuts itself off if it detects that the engine isn't running, but power supply is armed.

Good luck, sir.

Comment

Great info!
            Ok the coil is a msd 2f I'm assuming thats the same as a blaster 2 and i hooked it up like fig 2. Does this mean every thing is fried or just my coil? Or can I just hook up a resistor and by fine?
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            sigpic

Comment

Great info!
              Ok the coil is a msd 2f I'm assuming thats the same as a blaster 2 and i hooked it up like fig 2. Does this mean every thing is fried or just my coil? Or can I just hook up a resistor and by fine?
              To be entirely honest with you, I've only used the Blaster Ford coil once, and I don't recall a ballast resistor anywhere in the stock Ford wiring, off of the top of my head, anyway.

My recommendation would be to call MSD tech support Monday and verify whether or not the Blaster 2F has an internal resistor.
              Explore MSD's range of unrivaled ignition systems and components at Holley.com!

Comment

I have a ford blaster II coil on my carbureted 351W, and I have a ballast resistor installed, with a DS II ignition. Seems to run fine. I never tried to bypass the resistor, but I didn't see one installed in the factory schematics either.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  I have a ford blaster II coil on my carbureted 351W, and I have a ballast resistor installed, with a DS II ignition. Seems to run fine. I never tried to bypass the resistor, but I didn't see one installed in the factory schematics either.
                  I had a 2F on my 1985 Mustang GT....I can't recall whether or not there was a ballast resistor anywhere on the car, but that wouldn't matter since I essentially had the same DII system that almost every other DII-equipped vehicle possesses...and I can't recall a resistor on those, either.

Comment

IT RUNS!!!!!!!

The pertronixs was fried. Swapped in a new one with the resistor in place and it fired right up. Now I just have to tie up all my loose ends and it will be drivable.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wicked! Let us know how it runs

Comment

Better yet, lets see some video...
                        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                          I had a 2F on my 1985 Mustang GT....I can't recall whether or not there was a ballast resistor anywhere on the car, but that wouldn't matter since I essentially had the same DII system that almost every other DII-equipped vehicle possesses...and I can't recall a resistor on those, either.
                          From my experience with my carb swap (I decided to use a points ignition the first time around, that was a disaster, seeing as how the condenser kept getting heat soaked and the car wouldn't run after sitting) and I discovered there is a resistor wire in the harness somewhere. I couldn't locate it exactly, but it's there. Not sure why the EEC IV coil would need it but I guess it makes sense. 12V to the coil for startup, then switch to 9V since the coil isn't designed for continuous 12V operation? Anyway, I found it in the wiring diagrams in the repair manual for the Lincoln.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

The guys a seco told me to use a resistor from a 70's dodge truck. I guess most older cars uses a resistor wire but with me hot wiring it it didn't work. I take a video later and post it so ya'll can see how it runs.
                            sigpic

Comment

The guys a seco told me to use a resistor from a 70's dodge truck. I guess most older cars uses a resistor wire but with me hot wiring it it didn't work. I take a video later and post it so ya'll can see how it runs.
                              Yeah, i've used those before, can get them off the shelf at advance. Also MSD make a resistor. Duraspark sucks without the resistor, once I got the resistor I was fine. Eventually I ripped it off and got a 6AL though. Haven't looked back.

Comment

Duraspark sucks with the resistor. I couldn't get more than 10 hours from a box. Cars that came with carbs ussually had a resistor wire in the harness. EFI I'm not sure. But for my money Ill keep my HEI. Hard to fuck one of em up. Sounds like it should be fun though.
                                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                                X