88 Town Car...Suspension Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 Town Car...Suspension Help Please!

I'm getting ready to upgrade the suspension on my TC, and already have scored a rear swaybar from a late 80's Crown Vic police, along with a complete set of KYB GR-2 shocks. Ideally, I'd like to lower the car about 1" and upgrade to better rubber than the factory 215/15's, and perhaps add a beefier swaybar up front.

Is there any backwards interchange between a bubble panther and my TC as far as suspension pieces go? I'm finding tons of info on the later Vics/GM's, but if you're stuck in the 80s like me, not so much out there.

Links/suggestions/websites all gratefully appreciated...

Thanks y'all!

Anything that works on a Vic works on a Towncar. Its the same chassis, and those parts all interchange. Depending what you're after, we've got a fair bit of info on here.

Some big brake info, this largely covers the various things that will swap, and the specifics on how to do it

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks!

So...will a front swaybar from a 92 on up Crown Vic PI bolt up to my 88 Townie? That's been the toughest thing for me to find--especially not knowing what will/won't work.

Are there threads on the rear disc swap? I've been looking, but haven't run across any (which doesn't mean they're not out there!)

Comment

I have all the mods you listed, it's quite an improvement over stock on my 89 Town Car. For my rear disc swap I am putting in the entire axle from a 92 marquis.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

the "whole assembly" method. sometimes it's just easier that way. Wish I had some fun money for the cars... I would love to do the whole HO conversion on mine... actually I'd love to convert it to carb and put a 600 cfm carb on it with a good intake. This is the main reason I miss that pontiac parisienne... when the carb worked... it ran great and sure beat the hell outta my grand marquis. The TH700R4 in it was a lot more solid than the AOD as well. It would idle up an 8 degree incline. That car really liked to GO. *wonders off to daydream about mods*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just askin' again...if anyone's out there.

Will a front swaybar from a 92-up Crown Vic PI bolt up to my 88 Townie? That's been the toughest thing for me to find--especially not knowing what will/won't work.

Are there threads on the rear disc swap? I've been looking, but haven't run across any (which doesn't mean they're not out there!) I'd much rather just swap the rear out of a later-model panther if possible.

Thanks again y'all, and Happy Easter!

Comment

The later model front bars have a small hole in them instead of the large hole we have. The later endlinks have these ball stud things instead of the rubber donuts like the boxes got. It will fit in there, but the stock endlinks won't install properly and I suspect they'd just bend and snap. Physically it will fit in though.

Yes, rear discs are possible. I can't find the threads either. I know they exist, along with all sorts of documentation but the search fails me. If you're looking to swap the whole axle, its not so terrible. You need to do some brake line routing to actually get things connected up, and the parking brake cable needs a little work but its nothing unreasonable. I'll see if I can dig up more info after dinner. I know its here someplace.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is what you're after methinks:

Comment

Exactly what I was hoping to find--thanks, Gadget! As far as the front swaybar, looks like I'll keep trolling for a wagon one to turn up...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    This is what you're after methinks:

http://www.grandmarq.net/85crownLX/p...onversion.html
                    hey I was looking for that too. Thanks Gadget!

Question (sorry for the thread jack) is there an obvious advantage for using cop caliper vs civilian calipers? I imagine the cop ones are bigger, but is there a big performance difference? Im leaning towards using cop stuff when I do both the fronts and backs, and would like to know if it would be worth spending the extra money.
                    Last edited by hemihotrod402; 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM.
                    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

i have the stock 7/8" solid bar on the front of my town car, and it is just fine, i really do not notice a difference in handling.....my vic has the big solid pi front bar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

At one point, the cop pistons were steel, vs phenolic for civilian apps. Sometime later, this reversed. It also seems to depend whether or not the car has the handling package. I don't know when or why this changed exactly. The pistons are the same size and give the same clamping force, and honestly I know of no real advantage of one material over the other. Just make sure you know what you have. The clips on the brake pads are different, and from recent experience I can tell you that the pads for the phenolic pistons are more difficult to get. I had to drive Fairplay about 100 miles round trip to fetch up the only set of pads available on a Sunday. Everybody had the pads for the metal calipers.

Comment

Working...
                        X