difference btwn ATC vs. manual HVAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference btwn ATC vs. manual HVAC

What is the difference btwn a ATC and manual HVAC system in a '91 Grand Marquis? Does the HVAC controls look different inside or something? My '91 Grand Marquis has manual HVAC controls. Just wondering.

thanks,

Matt

ATC will vary fan speed and the temperature to keep the car at whatever temp you specify, assuming it is working correctly, which it seldom does judging by what people write here. You're better off with manual controls, and in fact some people have actually reverted their ATC cars back to manual control! The ATC on my Town Car works fine, though.

Comment

ATC+Age= Pain in the Nuts

Comment

Anyone have a pic of what the HVAC controls on the interior look like on a ATC car? I'm assuming it won't have a fan speed control knob or temp adjustment knob.

Chitownvic; I like the red exterior color. Looks nice and clean.

Comment

This is my car with ATC. I'm not sure that 91s were the same control setup.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            This is my car with ATC. I'm not sure that 91s were the same control setup.

Im pretty sure those controls (the same as mine) were only on 83-89 cars. When they changed the dash in 90 i belive they also changed the HVAC controls. Personally I like the look of the 88-89 dash the best but that may only be because im so used to my 88
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

The ATC on my '87 GM looks exactly the same!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Yeap thats what mine looks like I dint think they changed until 98 IIRC.. and thanks Matt its on of the cleanest interiors around haha

Comment

Thanks Pantera77 for that pic. I see the fan switch has auto, lo and hi and the temp control has the numbers.

Matt

Comment

If it has temperature numbers, its automatic. the 90+ stuff theoretically works better than the 80s stuff, but it has a failure prone part thats a real SOB to replace when it dies. The 80s stuff suffers from vacuum leaks and the goofy interior temperature sensor. if you fix the leaks and have a good sensor, it actually works decently well. Its not amazing, its not perfect, but its functional and easy to troubleshoot. the 90s one uses an electric motor on the blend door, which allows for much better temperature stability until the motor dies and you have to tear the dashboard out to replace it. Myself, I'll deal with the cranky vacuum bullshit.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here's a shot of my Mark's ATC. This is the older one with the temps across the temp slider but no AUTO setting on the fan switch.

Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          If it has temperature numbers, its automatic. the 90+ stuff theoretically works better than the 80s stuff, but it has a failure prone part thats a real SOB to replace when it dies. The 80s stuff suffers from vacuum leaks and the goofy interior temperature sensor. if you fix the leaks and have a good sensor, it actually works decently well. Its not amazing, its not perfect, but its functional and easy to troubleshoot. the 90s one uses an electric motor on the blend door, which allows for much better temperature stability until the motor dies and you have to tear the dashboard out to replace it. Myself, I'll deal with the cranky vacuum bullshit.
                          Yeah the 80's ATC definately is not all that good with temp stability but it keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer and I guess thats all I can ask for. The only problem is keeping the vacuum leaks away. I think ive been through two check valves in the past 4 months might have something to do with using generic ones instead of the motorcraft part.
                          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

something sounds funky with that. I'm running an original on my car that doesn't leak, or at least not enough to cause me trouble. 90s cars have that same valve. Maybe rob one from a newer car in the junkyard?
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              something sounds funky with that. I'm running an original on my car that doesn't leak, or at least not enough to cause me trouble. 90s cars have that same valve. Maybe rob one from a newer car in the junkyard?
                              ill have to try that

Comment

Working...
                              X