Engine code reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine code reader

What do yall use to read these codes for 88 GM ?? can they be purchased at a fair price?and where do you plug them into to read these codes?
    I'm thinging that my EGR Valve needs some work, engine idles fine tho.
    I did a search about the EGR valve on this forum.

Originally posted by ka7jjg43 View Post
    What do yall use to read these codes for 88 GM ?? can they be purchased at a fair price?and where do you plug them into to read these codes?
    I'm thinging that my EGR Valve needs some work, engine idles fine tho.
    I did a search about the EGR valve on this forum.
    ....it plugs in under the hood,IIRC on the drivers side.....there are 2 different types of ways to get codes...KOEO and KOER (key on engine off,and key on engine running)....make sure you buy a code reader that is OBD1 capable,and has a ford specific cable....expect to pay roughly $200.00 for a good one

Comment

thks :p

Comment

Great gives me a starting point guys :p always pleasure getting help from yall

Comment

Should be able to find them all over Amazon, EBAY, etc.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

if you just want to read the codes... and you have a check engine light or test light... you could always just use a wire.

procedure and wiring shown here:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I use the wire. I'm a cheap bastard. If you're getting a code reader, get one with a digital display. The ones with a blinky light are a $35 piece of wire.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lots of them on Ebay for 42 bucks :p

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I use the wire. I'm a cheap bastard. If you're getting a code reader, get one with a digital display. The ones with a blinky light are a $35 piece of wire.
                  THIS x100000000...

like this one: clicky

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X