Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Box Bumper Strips

Hello,

My rear bumper is in excellent shape however the bumper guard corner got clipped at the McDonalds pole apparently and broke the tab. I struck gold at the junkyard today and found some. My question how do you get these off. Do you squeeze the tabs hard or hammer them out or what? Just don't want to break them coming out.

Yo,

The horizontal rub strips? Pull em off with fingers.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Won't that break them and make them not reusable without adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found that sticking a flat head screwdriver close to the tabs and prying gets them off without breaking.

Comment

I have done it the hard way with good luck. Take off the bumper, squeeze the tabs gently and push out. I use needle nose pliers. As I said I did it the hard way. I found that the distance of the tabs vary from year to year. Why I don't know. I had a nos front bumper and nos bumper strips. The strips were off . Ford even could not give me a answer. Now I have nos bumper strips without a home. Lots of $
          It might be easier to change out the whole bumper ?

Comment

I removed a set years back from the junkyard with flat head screw driver close to the clips.

Its old. NO matter how hard you try they may just let go.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Best chance is to remove inner bumper from outer. Squeze the nubs with some sort of plyers and push through. Least chance of dammage.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
              X