97 Mountaineer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 Mountaineer

97 Mercury Mountaineer, 134k, 5.0L, all wheel drive, leather, sunroof, open recalls, leaks, optional dent, dog hair...

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Interior looks reasonably decent. Winter beater ?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Are the rear fog lamps (in the bumper) actually functional on this thing?
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Interior looks reasonably decent. Winter beater ?
        Not bad overall, just going to drive it when I want. Now I'm hoping for a shitty snow day

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
        Are the rear fog lamps (in the bumper) actually functional on this thing?
        Not sure. I thought they were reflectors.

Now I can haul junk, tow junk, and can go anywhere no matter the weather.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

that is a very interesting dent in the rear door. I'm betting that glass is not original.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I kinda want one of these. They are unobtanium around here in any sort of presentable condition, or if you find one they want a million dollars for it. They were popular soccer mom mobiles when I was a kid and I think they all were either used up and/or rusted away like the ubiquitous '90s minivans.

I don't remember the interior on those trucks being so much like the Ranger. I knew that they shared the dash but it also looks like they share the ranger front seats and everything else too. Its been a long time since I've been in/around one tho.
            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

BigMerc96 - same here on the unobtainium. Haven’t seen one with less than 200k on the clock for a while.

I’d totally go for a V8 version as my family hauler but the wife thinks they look too old (it’d be her daily). The interior is my ranger came from an Explorer for the most part. Seats, console, overhead console, CD player, instrument cluster. My truck was trashed inside when I got it. Same dog hair affliction that may be affecting yours.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

These Explorers/Mountaineers are pretty useful vehicles. My mom has a fairly clean '98 5.0 AWD Explorer. Dad has used it to tow my Yukon a few years ago, as well as towing other vehicles on other occasions. I just used it last month to tow The Ice Car.

Steve, you're right that there are no nice Explorers left around here for a decent price. Mom's came from NH for south of $1K about 5 years ago. I think it has over 200K miles but it doesn't miss a beat and the body is in better shape than any Explorer I've seen around here.

Congrats on the new to you truck, LSE_Dave.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Nice truck.

Pops has a 95 Explorer Expedition Sport.

When looking for rear bumpers we (well I) really wanted to find that type rear bumper. All rusted out around here. Found MINTY chrome ones instead.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Good luck with it! I'm guessing body parts are hard to find?
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I bought a 96 explorer V8 all wheel drive for like 700 box up in the mountains of North Carolina. It’s a complete utter rot box. I shouldn’t like driving it but I love it. The brake lines Leek, the bumpers are rotted out and literally falling off the car. Congratulations on the Mountaineer. The 97 mountaineer had the Ford Explorer export bumper. Which had foglamps for it overseas
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                          I bought a 96 explorer V8 all wheel drive for like 700 box up in the mountains of North Carolina. It’s a complete utter rot box. I shouldn’t like driving it but I love it. The brake lines Leek, the bumpers are rotted out and literally falling off the car. Congratulations on the Mountaineer. The 97 mountaineer had the Ford Explorer export bumper. Which had foglamps for it overseas
                          Would you be mad if I told you that this one has minimal rust? and that I only paid $900
                          Love the fog lamps, even if they aren't aimed properly.

Comment

Cleaned up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X