PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

So I've been focusing exclusively on restoring the '66 since we arrived in Arkansas. I don't have to funds to allow multiple irons in the fire, so the Mercury has been getting only routine maintenance here lately.

But I'm starting to get the itch again. I'm starting to think that I should temper my expectations for the car if I want to be able to give it any love. That said, I'm thinking of forgoing the big brake swap for the near future. I have all the parts to do it, but new 16" or 17" wheels and tires are just out of my reach at the moment.

After I replaced the ball joints and brakes (and the springs, shocks, and steering hardware before that) I really only have the upper and lower control arm bushings that need to be addressed in the front suspension. The upper bushings are shot to the point that the car can't be aligned properly. I was thinking about replacing the bushings and possibly springing a little bit for some better looking 15" wheels.

Here comes another question about backspace. I was specifically looking at (primarily) the Wheel Vintiques series 54 Magnum 500 wheels. They only come in a 4.5" backspace in the 15x8" version. Would I need a spacer to run those effectively?

My second choice would be the Wheel Vintiques series 03 wheels. I prefer the look of the Magnum 500s, but these would be kind of poetic since they're a replica of Mercury Comet wheels. They come in 3" backspace and 4" backspace versions.

There's a local place I need to call to ask about the cost of a gear install. I'm looking to go ahead and install the 2.5" exhaust I have, but I'd like to get gears installed first in case I lose a lot of bottom end.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

The Magnum 500 style is a good look. But watch the center bore. I think you need a center bore of 70.5mm or larger. I’ve seen these wheels on boxes, so I’m sure they are out there. That backspace should be fine no spacers.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    The Magnum 500 style is a good look. But watch the center bore. I think you need a center bore of 70.5mm or larger. I’ve seen these wheels on boxes, so I’m sure they are out there. That backspace should be fine no spacers.
    That's the one thing I hadn't yet considered. That may be a deal breaker. I'll have to measure the wheel bore on my spare tomorrow.
    óJohn

I am held up on why you would buy new 15" wheels and not 16" if buying wheels is your goal?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Land Yacht Fundamentalist Hearsesrock427's Avatar

'98-'02 steel wheels are super cheap and 16 inch diameter. Will clear the big brake parts with ease. Could also pull the spindles from the same car seeing as how those are also needed....
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt"
    '85 Grand Marquis "Eva"
    '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '92 Crown Victoria "Krista" coming soon.
    '88 Town Car "Lana" coming summer 2021

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I am held up on why you would buy new 15" wheels and not 16" if buying wheels is your goal?
    I'm trying to temper my expectations for this car since I'm focusing most of my resources on restoring the '66.

Honestly, you're probably right since 16" wheels wouldn't be much more and neither would 16" tires.

Either way, I'd be looking at spending around $1200 on wheels and tires when all is said and done. That's about half of the cost of the new suspension I want to put under the rear of the '66.

I've honestly considered thinning the herd, but I can't bring myself to sell anything I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
    '98-'02 steel wheels are super cheap and 16 inch diameter. Will clear the big brake parts with ease. Could also pull the spindles from the same car seeing as how those are also needed....
    I actually already have everything I need. I just need wheels and tires. I'm not wanting steel wheels. Not the look I'm going for.

I basically find myself with a hard choice every payday of which car will get funds.
    óJohn

It's all good mang there are other options. Lacy spoke 16 inch wheels were optional on Lincolns from '98-'02. I have seen aeros with them too so they were probably available in earlier years. There are also '92-'02 HPPs which aren't as common and are a bit more expensive but they're very light. I seriously considered a set of those until I committed to going even deeper down the rabbit hole with Ebyt's build!
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt"
    '85 Grand Marquis "Eva"
    '94 Caprice "Kira"

Sorry for double post but I found this in another thread. See what you like from these selections:

https://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/c...ls-9321-1.html
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt"
    '85 Grand Marquis "Eva"
    '94 Caprice "Kira"

How are these trim pieces removed? I’m thinking about getting started on slick-topping this car along with some other cosmetic repairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A75895CF-F038-41EC-AFD7-F73C5DA33A9E.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	55070
    óJohn

There is a circular disc that retains the hockey stick puck hitter looking piece right next to the rear window. That trim needs to slide one way or the other (dont remember) to find a relief in the trim for it to escape from.

There are two more fasteners I believe. I thought they were pushed in to tube nuts in the body. Hard to remember. I suggest removing everything from the interior (you have to do it anyway to remove the over the roof trim) and inspect.

There may even be one nut to remove at the very leading edge of that trim.

I removed all of these bit 10+ years ago in my 87 tudor.

EDIT.. just looked at my removal thread. On my car there is indeed one nut then two push pins and then the circular disc that stays with the body.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post525344

~David~

eBay find from earlier in the week. This will go on the original cluster out of my car since I've been kind of wanting to swap it back in. The printed circuit on that's currently on there was damaged somehow, resulting in a non-functional fuel gauge.

Name:	IMG_7810.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	55461 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7811.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	55462

Also found this in my father-in-law's garage. Any idea on vehicle fitment? No markings or part numbers whatsoever.

Name:	IMG_7800.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	55463
    óJohn

I’d guess 67-79 Ford Ignition Switch (in-dash). I think cars used it 67-69. Trucks 67-79.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I’d guess 67-79 Ford Ignition Switch (in-dash). I think cars used it 67-69. Trucks 67-79.
    After bringing up a '75 F100 lock cylinder on Rock Auto, it looks like you're right.
    óJohn

Finally have the extra cash laying around to pull the trigger on all new air conditioning parts for the Mercury. Let's see if I can avoid procrastinating and get it all installed before summer really hits. I could deal with the summer heat in north Texas without air conditioning, however, the Arkansas humidity is a whole other beast. Air conditioning is all but required.

Name:	Parts.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	55950

Back in December I went to check out the local Pick-n-Pull. It's on the other side of Little Rock, but that's a damn sight closer than Wichita Falls to Dallas. I just wanted to see what kind of selection they had, but ended up coming home with an engine. This came out of what looked like a very abused '95 Mustang GT coupe. Someone had already removed the front accessories, the transmission and bellhousing, and the upper intake. I put a socket on the crank and it turned over effortlessly. I removed the heads (my little DeWalt 3/8 impact zipped off the bolts like they were finger tight) and found crosshatch in all the cylinders. The hardest part was wheeling the makeshift engine crane over to the car on the loose gravel.

The little rust spot you see in the cylinder wiped away with only a small amount of WD40.

I also got my hands on a low-mile set of GT40 heads and camshaft out of a 1994 Mustang Cobra. I'm planning to have this package freshened up at a local machine shop to eventually be dropped into the Mercury. I'll have to sort out the computer situation and AOD upgrades. As much as I'd love to swap in a 4R70W, it's not really in the cards right now considering how much a transmission controller would cost me. I want to get some more power out of the Mercury without diverting too much cash from the '66 Mustang. I'll need to get some advice from the Mustang forum about some inexpensive options like Megasquirt or something.
    óJohn

Found a pair of these locally. Now I just need three more.

Name:	IMG_7946.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	56086
    óJohn

Was hoping to get three, but two will do for now. I’ll have to locate a fifth later.

Name:	526C7684-F097-4D7D-ADCE-44022F365243.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	56198
    óJohn

Hpps are so damn good looking.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Hpps are so damn good looking.
    Indeed. I was wanting to go another route, but this is more cost effective. I also do get a very good looking wheel.

Do you run the stock 225/60 size on your car, or do you run a size that is more comparable to the 215/70R15s in overall diameter?
    óJohn

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

225/60R16 with steel '98-'02 is what I ran on The Ice Car (those wheels and tires are now the winter shoes for the '98). No problem with the stock Whale size on my Box, no rubbing or any other clearance issues. If there is a difference in what the speedo reads compared to 215/70R15, it wasn't enough to actually notice.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning sometime in the 2020s, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Indeed. I was wanting to go another route, but this is more cost effective. I also do get a very good looking wheel.

Do you run the stock 225/60 size on your car, or do you run a size that is more comparable to the 215/70R15s in overall diameter?
    I have 235/60/16 on my HPPs.
    ~David~

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast